Brain tumors may have a variety of symptoms, ranging from headache to stroke. Different parts of the brain control different functions, so symptoms will vary depending on the tumor’s location.
Brain tumors are great mimics of other neurological disorders, and many of the common symptoms could indicate other medical conditions.
Symptoms of a brain tumor may include any of the following:
- A new seizure in an adult
- Unsteadiness or imbalance, especially if it is associated with headache
- Gradual loss of movement or sensation in an arm or leg
- Double vision (especially if it is associated with a headache), or loss of vision in one or both eyes, especially if the vision loss is more peripheral
- Hearing loss with or without dizziness
- Speech difficultly of gradual onset
- Nausea, which is most severe in the morning
- Memory loss, confusion and disorientation
In most cases, the cause of brain cancer is unknown. However, they are not infectious; you cannot catch a brain tumor. Brain tumors are relatively rare, and are slightly more common in males than in females. However, one type of brain tumor, meningioma, is slightly more common in women.
People can get brain tumours at any age. Generally speaking, as we get older our risk of brain tumours increases, but there are many different types of brain tumors and some are more common in younger adults.
Overall, more brain tumours are diagnosed than in the past. But this is mostly because we are living longer and brain tumours are more common in older people.
Brain tumors can be genetic; if you have a parent, brother or sister diagnosed with a tumour of the nervous system, your risk is higher than other people in the general population. Jewish people have a higher risk of meningiomas than other groups, which may be due to genetic factors.
In our environment, the only definite risk we know of is exposure to radioactivity (ionising radiation). Meningiomas and malignant glioma are more common in people who have had radiotherapy to the head in the past. Children who have had radiotherapy to the head as a treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia ALL) are known to be at a slightly increased risk of brain tumours.
Women who have had breast cancer have a slightly increased risk of having a glioma. One study has shown that people with a previous nasopharyngeal cancer have an increased risk of brain tumors, which may be due to unknown shared environmental causes between nasopharyngeal cancer and brain tumours.
There is some evidence that people with food or respiratory allergies may have a slightly reduced risk of brain tumours, although it is not clearly understood why this should be.
People with HIV or Aids have a slightly increased risk of brain cancer. A specific rare type of brain tumour called primary cerebral lymphoma is more likely to develop in people whose immune system is not functioning properly due to AIDS or medicines taken after an organ transplant.
- Folic acid – Folic acid can help prevent your cancer from spreading. Try 400g a day, or choose foods with folic acid, such as spinach, darker greens, leafy veggies, oranges, rice, and beans.
- Antioxidants – Foods with a high level of antioxidants are known to fight and prevent brain cancer. Choose blueberries, strawberries and grapes; the fresher the fruits and veg, the greater the benefit – eating them raw is generally the best option and don’t cut off the skins if possible.
- Omega-3s – Introduce plenty of fish to your diet, as it includes omega-3s, which can help locate and fight cancer cells.
- Tomatoes – Containing an ingredient called lycopene, tomatoes are believed to be beneficial in fighting cancer.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey. Check out www.grasslandbeef.com.
Vitamin D – incorporate vitamin D into your diet, as it is believed to slow the growth of tumors. Try 800 to 1,000 units a day. A little sunlight also helps you to gain vitamin D, but do seek advice from a health practitioner first as it can interfere with other cancer treatments.
Siberian ginseng, extracts of mushrooms like shiitake, cat’s claw, astragalus, St John’s Wort, niacin, whey protein, shark liver oil, melatonin, germanium, vitamins C and E are also beneficial in the treatment of brain tumors. Typical dosages of vitamin C are 250 to 1,000 mg a day, and usual dosages of vitamin E are 400 to 600 units a day – do discuss any new medications with your health practitioner.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr. Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/recommends/
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/squeaky-clean
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com
Try this home remedy for the nausea associated with brain cancer
Home remedy for weak memory www.homeveda.com/mental-and-neurological/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-weak-memory.html
Home remedy for the dizziness associated with brain cancer www.homeveda.com/mental-and-neurological/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-dizziness.html
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Brain tumor and homeopathy www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/211477.php
Nettle herbs and brain cancer www.livestrong.com/article/542310-nettle-herbs-brain-cancer/
Chinese herbal medicines may treat brain cancer www.examiner.com/article/chinese-herbal-medicine-may-beat-brain-cancer
How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine: A Natural Arsenal of Disease-fighting Tools for Prevention, Treatment, and Coping with Side Effects, by Michael T. Murray
Chinese herbs and cancer csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Articlespdf/Chinese%20herbs%20for%20cancer.pdf
Acupuncture Vs. cancer www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=28310
Antibacterial essential oils are believed to reduce tumors www.jcojournal.org/content/23/7/1588.2.full.pdf
Cancer and aromatherapy www.naha.org/articles/cancer_and_aromatherapy.htm
Malignant tumor regressed with homeopathy homeopathy4health.wordpress.com/2008/01/03/malignant-tumour-cases-regressed-with-homeopathy/
Chaparral – a herb that shrinks tumors voices.yahoo.com/chaparral-herb-shrinks-tumors-4109491.html
How dietary supplements can block cancer cells www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100629131316.htm
Twenty herbs that can fight cancer www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=3054
Foods to fight brain cancer www.ehow.com/about_5143229_foods-fight-brain-cancer.html
The Cox-2 Connection: Natural Breakthrough Treatments for Arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and Cancer [Paperback], James B LaValle
Cancer-Free: Your Guide to Gentle, Non-toxic Healing (Fourth Edition) [Kindle Edition], Carlos M Garcia MD and Bill Henderson
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – Aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – Organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – Meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – Herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – Reiki, Tai Chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – Aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic practitioner.