Dandruff is a common scalp condition in which the dead skin is shed.
Irritating white flakes, as well as, in some cases, itching, scaling, and redness of the scalp. Dandruff frequently accompanies scalp disease and is a primary cause of baldness and general hair loss. Dandruff may also occur on other skin surfaces, such as the face, chest, and back, and in certain cases yellow crusting may appear.
It is frequently due to digestive disturbances, and is highly related to the general health of the entire body.
The most common cause of dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis, a mild scalp inflammation with excessive fatty secretions that usually starts as dry or greasy scaling of the skin, but may progress to yellow-red scaling bumps along the hairline, behind the ears, in the ear canals, on the eyebrows, on the bridge of the nose, in the folds around the nose, or on the breastbone. Don`t pick or your scratch scalp, as this will only exacerbate your condition.
When infants get dandruff, it is called cradle cap, which is a yeast problem. Many skin experts in Europe consider dandruff in adults to also be a yeast problem. In other words, dandruff is often an external symptom of an internal problem. Therefore, dandruff treatments can be similar to those for treating candidiasis.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com/ Silver has long been recognized as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment. We suggest several at-home hydrotherapy treatments. Please seek the advice of your alternative health care practitioner before undergoing these procedures to make sure they are appropriate for you.
*Purified water is essential for any hydrotherapy treatment. The section Remedies for Treating Chlorinated Bath Water offers clear instructions and recommendations.
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages
- Avoid fried foods all fast food restaurants
- Avoid all canned food
- Significantly reduce your intake of fats, sugar, chocolate, seafood, nuts and dairy products
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenized dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey
- Increase raw foods as part of an overall organic, whole foods diet
- Eat more salads and green vegetables
- Vitamin D has been shown to be a key factor in improving health in general. Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day http:/// for periods of up to four weeks at a time
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Intravenous Chelation www.oaktreewellness.com
From site: Nutritional Supplementation:
The following nutrients are all useful for helping to prevent and reverse dandruff: vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin B complex, essential fatty acids (particularly omega-6), vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene, and zinc. Kelp tablets can also help.
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription drugs are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Dandruff has been linked to stress so here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here
- . Find out more by clicking here
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here
We recommend you consult a licensed practitioner but Ayurvedic medicines like Dhoor doora patradi coconut oil, Karkunthal, Eladi coconut oil etc are very effective to improve the scalp health. In chronic conditions medicines like Khadira Arishtam, Loha asavam, Chandana asavam, Gandhaka Rasayanam, Bakuchi capsules, Keshmani Capsules, Haridra Kanda Choornam etc are prescribed.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
Chinese medicine believes that dandruff is caused by an excess of wind-heat. We recommend you consult a licensed practitioner who may wish to discuss the following remedies:
- Morus alba (made into a shampoo to be used weekly)
- Gleditsia 50-100 grams added to boiled water and used as a rinse
- Chrysanthemum leaves added to boiling water, cooled and used as a massage for the scalp
- Apple Dressing: Take half a cup of apple juice, add 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and mix thoroughly. After shampooing with the previous remedies, dip a comb into the apple dressing and comb through the hair
- Black beans: Add 100 g black beans to boiled water. When cool use as a shampoo/rinse
- Take 100g of Speranskia, 50g mulberry and add 1000 ml of water. Apply to scalp and rinse off with clean water after 20 minutes, Can be used up to twice daily
Patchouli, rosemary, and/or tea tree oil can be massaged into the scalp. If you have an oily scalp, use cedarwood in a carrier oil and massage it into your scalp daily. You could also opt to blend 4 drops of lavender oil, 4 drops of geranium oil, and 2 drops of sandalwood oil into a carrier oil and massage it into the scalp a few times a week. If you have greasy dandruff, blend 3 drops of tea tree oil, 1 drop rosemary oil, 2 drops juniper oil, 2 drops cedarwood oil, and 2 drops lemon oil into a carrier oil and massage it into the scalp.
Graphites, Lycopodium, Thuja, Sepia, Sulfur, and Cantharis are useful homeopathic remedies for dandruff. The following homoeopathic remedies can be helpful:
- Arsenicum album – for psoriasis with itching and burning, and is worse for cold and scratching
- Arsenicum iodatum – for dry, scaly, itchy skin with scales that peel off easily
- Berberis aquifolium – for pimply, rough, and scaly skin with eruptions appearing on the scalp extending to the face and neck
- Borax – for unhealthy skin and psoriasis that is not as bad in the cold weather
- Chrysarobimum – for dry scaly eruptions, especially around the eyes and ears
- Petroleum – for rough, thickened skin which may crack, and for psoriasis that is much worse in winter
Rinse your hair and scalp with a strong infusion of nettle, sage, and rosemary, and drink a cup of nettle tea and take evening primrose oil (three capsules) daily. Herbal medicine includes blood-cleansing remedies and diuretics such as figwort, cleavers, burdock, red clover, and yellow dock. Liver herbs such as Oregon grape root may be used to improve detoxification. Other remedies such as chickweed can be used to reduce itching while others act as antiseptics and anti-inflammatories.
If you have a dry scalp use olive oil as a carrier oil. If your scalp is oily, use diluted lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Aloe vera may also be rubbed into the scalp before shampooing, along with nettle tea and rosemary oil.
Crab Apple can help with feelings of poor self-image due to dandruff.
Soak your hair in a warm apple cider vinegar solution, the wrap your head in a towel. After one hour, wash your hair. In addition, you can apply vitamin E oil to your scalp each night for three weeks. Tea tree oil shampoo is also recommended.
Alternative Professional Care
If your symptoms persist despite the above measures, seek the help of a qualified health professional. The following professional care therapies have all been shown to be useful for treating and relieving the symptoms of dandruff: Detoxification Therapy, Environmental Medicine, Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Oxygen Therapy (external ozone applications to control fungal growth), and Traditional Chinese Medicine. (See Glossary for descriptions of these Alternative Therapies.)
Cedarwood for dandruff: www.naturalnews.com/032679_cedarwood_dandruff.html
Deal with dandruff naturally: www.naturalnews.com/032295_dandruff_remedies.html
Coconut oil for dandruff and itchy scalp relief: www.naturalnews.com/029120_coconut_oil_hair_conditioner.html
Diet for dandruff: www.dermaharmony.com/dandruff/antidandruffdiettips-samplemenu.aspx
Ayurveda home remedies and dandruff: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAzcJ6QBa6c
Home remedies for dandruff: www.freeinformationguru.com/cureinsomnia/cure-dandruff-videos_g_MlAmDGDjQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player.html
Dandruff and effectiveness of acupuncture: www.acupunctureonlineschool.com/how-to-prevent-and-treat-dandruff-with-step.html
Natural remedies for dandruff: articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-09-12/beauty/28641259_1_dandruff-scalp-home-remedies
Further Information (links and books)
Cheap & Easy All-Natural Dandruff Treatments, Katrina D. Burley; The 99 Cent All-Natural Cure for Dandruff [Kindle Edition], Elizabeth Peebles
Infrared Sauna, Therasauna
www.therasauna.com (888) 729-7727
Probiotics, Healthy Trinity
www.natren.com (866) 462-8736
EFA therapy, Quantum-Rx EFA Oil
www.healthline.cc (800) 370-3447
Organic Noni Juice, Earth’s Bounty
www.earthsbounty.com (800) 736-5609
Aubrey Organics, Selenium Shampoo
www.aubrey-organics.com (800) 282-7394
Giovanni Shampoo, Tea Tree Triple
www.drvita.com (646) 580-6684
Rosemary, tea tree essential oils rubbed into scalp
www.rivendellaromatics.com (805) 649-2476
Andrea Butje | Aromahead firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt email@example.com – organic food recipes
David Spector-NSR/USA firstname.lastname@example.org – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad email@example.com – herbalist
Kath May firstname.lastname@example.org – reiki, tai chi
Lillian Bridges email@example.com – Chinese medicine, living naturally
Monika firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner
Giovanni Shampoo, Tea Tree Triple
Coconut Oil for scalp rub
Cedarwood oil for scalp rub
Green tea for hair rinse
Fenugreek or methi seeds – made into a paste with water and applied to the scalp:
Apple juice – massaged into the scalp