An inflammation or infection of the outer ear canal (the passage leading from the external ear to the eardrum), ear canal infection, or otitis externa, is often associated with excess water in the ear canal. It frequently occurs in children and young adults who swim a great deal, and the common name for the inflammation is ‘swimmer’s ear’.
Symptoms of otitis ear canal infection generally include:
- Ear pain, which can range from moderate to severe
- A discharge of liquid or pus from the ear
- Some degree of temporary hearing loss
Usually only one ear is affected, but in some cases the symptoms can persist for several months, which is known as chronic otitis externa. The symptoms of chronic otitis externa tend to be much milder.
Repeated exposure to water can increase your risk of otitis externa, as water can clear earwax out of the external ear canal, making it very itchy. If you try to scratch inside your ear, the sensitive skin of the canal can break down, allowing an infection to take place.
Water in the ear also creates a moist environment, which encourages bacteria to grow.
Other causes may include:
- A spot (pimple) developing inside the ear
- Something directly irritating the ear canal, such as a hearing aid or an ear plug
- A fungal infection
Certain foods can make the body prone to ear infections, and other foods can ready the immune system to fight off infections, according to nutritional therapy. Food allergies may also be responsible for repeated ear infections, especially in young children.
All common food allergens can be eliminated from the diet under the supervision of a trained professional.
For middle-ear infection in a child, a holistic practitioner may recommend removing common allergens from the diet, including:
- Dairy products, including milk and cheese
Eliminating heavy proteins and sugars is also recommended.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Supplementation of vitamin C, vitamin A, and zinc may also be helpful in warding off infections.
Vitamin C with bioflavonoids help to support the immune system and fight ear infections. Try one teaspoon of vitamin C crystals or powder to six ounces of water. Take 1⁄2 to one ounce of this mixture every one to three hours. Reduce the dosage if it causes a stomach ache or loose stools.
Zinc can be very helpful when fighting acute ear infections. Zinc lozenges quicken the immune response and aid in reducing an ear infection.
Beta-carotene and vitamin E with mixed tocopherols promotes healing of the mucous membranes.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com orwww.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/squeaky_clean.php
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Try this home remedy for ear infections: www.homeveda.com/infections-and-allergies/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-ear-infection.html
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.htm
Further Information (links and books)
Ear infection and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) ezinearticles.com/?Ear-Infections-and-Traditional-Chinese-Medicine&id=6666285
Ayurvedic home remedies for ear ache ezinearticles.com/?Ayurvedic-Home-Remedies-for-Ear-Infections-and-Aches&id=466424
Essential oils for ear infection www.ehow.com/facts_5618764_essential-oils-ear-infections.html
PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING, FIFTH EDITION: A PRACTICAL A-TO-Z REFERENCE TO DRUG-FREE REMEDIES USING VITAMINS, MINERALS, HERBS & FOOD … A-TO-Z REFERENCE TO DRUG-FREE REMEDIES) BY PHYLLIS BALCH
AROMATHERAPY: A COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE HEALING ART BY KATHI KEVILLE AND MINDI GREEN
DETOX AND REVITALIZE BY SUSANA L. BELEN
THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF YOUR BODY BY INNA SEGAL
THE HEALING HERBS: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE CURATIVE POWER OF NATURE’S MEDICINES BY MICHAEL CASTLEMAN AND PREVENTION MAGAZINE
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
judith hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.