Epithelial Basement Membrane Dystrophy
Causing characteristic slit lamp findings which may result in decreased vision and/or recurrent corneal erosions, epithelial basement membrane dystrophy (EBMD) is a disease that affects the anterior cornea.
Epithelial Basement Membrane Dystrophy is also sometimes referred to as either of the following: Map-dot-fingerprint dystrophy, Cogan’s dystrophy, Cogan microcystic epithelial dystrophy or Anterior basement membrane dystrophy.
There is actually some debate as to whether EBMD is a true dystrophy (a disease which occurs more commonly within affected families than in the general population) or a corneal degeneration (a disease which more commonly occurs randomly than in affected families). Known family history and age are probably the most important risk factors for EBMD.
The breakdown of the basement membrane in epithelial cell dystrophy can cause redness of the eye, as well as blurred vision, light sensitivity and discomfort that can range from moderate irritation to severe pain. These symptoms are generally worse at the start of the day because sleep does not permit the blinking that keeps the surface of the cornea lubricated with tears.
EBMD is usually not progressive but can be extremely variable in its presentation and can fluctuate in its course. The condition is typically bilateral but it can show up in just one eye. It also can be very asymmetric in its presentation often with a marked difference between the eyes.
This dystrophy occurs when the epithelium’s basement membrane develops abnormally, causing the epithelial cells to not properly adhere to it. This leads to recurrent epithelial erosions, which can cause blurred vision and severe pain. This condition is usually not inherited. However, families with autosomal dominant inheritance and mutations in the TGFBI gene have been identified.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com orwww.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Are carrots good for your eyes? tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/carrots-eyesight1.htm
Nutrition for the eyes: chetday.com/eyehealth.htm
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/squeaky_clean.php
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
How to make a salt eyewash www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRTC0EkJfo
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
The Eye and Nutrition by Umberto Veronesi
Nutrition and the Eye: A Practical Approach by Frank Eperiesi
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
judith hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.