Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease, or STD. It receives its name from the bacterium that causes it—Gonococcus neisseria. Approximately 400,000 cases of gonorrhea occur in the United States each year. Of all of the STDs that U.S. physicians are required by law to report to public health officials, gonorrhea is the most common. It is transmitted through intimate sexual contact and afflicts both men and women.
In women, gonorrhea can infect the vagina, cervix, urethra, rectum, and throat, and can also spread to the uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes, where it can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). In men, gonorrhea infects the penis, epididymis, the rectum, and the throat.
Note: Gonorrhea in both men and women should be treated immediately. Because of the many variables and potential problems associated with any type of STD, a trained health professional should be consulted if infection is suspected. In the case of any STD, it is important to determine if antibiotics or other pharmaceutical drugs are necessary or if natural remedies alone will be effective.
Caution: Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can be severe and even life-threatening. Therefore, proper diagnosis and medical care are essential.
Gonorrhea can cause redness and swelling in the affected areas of the body. In men, it can produce painful urination and pus-like discharge from the penis, and cause frequent and urgent urination. If the gonorrhea bacterium escapes from its original site of infection and enters the bloodstream, complications such as fever, skin rash, or joint pain can occur. In women, these symptoms, as well as painful urination and pus-like discharge from the vagina, are the primary symptoms produced by gonorrhea. Nearly all men experience symptoms of gonorrhea if they are infected, while only 50 to 75 per cent of women do.
Gonorrhea is caused by an infection of Gonococcus neisseria that can occur during unprotected sex.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local practitioner here
As with all other types of sexually transmitted diseases, the most effective response to gonorrhea is prevention. To avoid gonorrhea, do the following:
- Be careful about choosing a sex partner and find out about his or her health and sexual history before engaging a sexual relationship. Have sex only if the person has no apparent signs of infection and is willing to assure your protection during sexual intimacy. Be prepared to talk and inquire about past experiences. Be direct and persistent. Make conversations about health a natural part of the sexual relationship.
- Limit the number of people you have sex with. The risk of contracting a STD rises exponentially in direct relation to how many sexual partners you have.
- Avoid sex altogether if your partner exhibits open lesions or swelling on his or her body.
- Always practice safe sex. Men should always use a latex condom, especially when engaging in sex with someone new. As an alternative, women can consider the use of a latex female condom. When engaging in oral sex, use a latex dental dam. Long-term, monogamous sexual partners should also use some form of protective contraceptive unless planning a pregnancy.
- Avoid swallowing semen, as it acts as an immune suppressant and thus can increase the risk of STDs caused by infectious micro-organisms.
- Avoid anal sex, especially without protection.
- Urinate after you have sexual intercourse in order to help clean the urethra and prevent infection. This applies to both men and women.
- Have an annual check-up to be screened for STDs that you may not know you have.
- If you know that you have a sexually transmitted disease, be responsible. Inform your partner and insist that he or she be examined and treated as well. Follow the treatment regimen that your physician prescribes as completely as possible, and always use protection whenever you engage in sex.
Quick Action Plan for Gonorrhea
- Print out and review the above Prevention Guidelines.
- Do a three-day water or juice fast at the first sign of symptoms and to counteract severe pain.
- Eat lightly, especially during the initial phase and during periods of pain, limiting your food intake to fresh fruits and vegetables for three to five days. Afterwards, emphasize fresh, organic foods, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates, free-range, organic meats and poultry, wild-caught fish, and an abundance of pure filtered water.
- Avoid all commercial, processed, and nonorganic food, as well as alcohol, coffee, sugars, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, food dyes, milk and dairy products, and wheat and wheat products.
- Be screened for food allergies.
- Drink plenty of organic, fresh-squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, such as green drinks, apple juice, carrot juice, and cranberry juice.
- The herb goldenseal is particularly effective for managing gonorrhea.
- To ensure complete and long-term recovery, work with a qualified holistic health professional.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com/ Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment.
There are several at-home hydrotherapy treatments. For treating rheumatoid arthritis, we recommended constitutional hydrotherapy (apply two to five times weekly) or a heating compress (apply once daily to affected areas). Please seek the advice of your alternative health care practitioner before undergoing these procedures to make sure they are appropriate for you.
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitionerhere.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Water www.drinkrealwater.com/
- Take a bath as often as possible up to once a day with two litres of 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide.
During the initial, acute phase, as well as periods of severe pain, a light diet consisting primarily of fresh organic fruits and vegetables is recommended. In addition, drink plenty of pure, filtered water. Follow this diet this for at least three to five days. Afterwards, emphasize fresh, organic foods, with plenty of fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates, and free-range, organic meats and poultry, as well as wild caught fish that are rich in essential fatty acids, such as sardines and salmon. Also be sure to minimize your alcohol intake to no more than one glass of red wine or beer per day.
Avoid all commercial and processed foods, as well as caffeine, salt, unhealthy fats, sugars, artificial sweeteners and preservatives, food dyes, milk and dairy products, as well as wheat and wheat products.
In addition, undergo testing for potential food allergies and sensitivities and avoid those foods to which you test positive. Consider a rotation diet or elimination diet in order to further reduce the likelihood of food allergies.
Nutrition and diet are key players in the healing and elimination of imbalance and disease. For a complete, nutrition packed, whole foods eating plan, read the Whole Foods Diet. In many cases, a raw food eating plan can be extremely beneficial. To learn more, read Raw Food Diet. You can print out these full articles for easy reference.
Fasting: A three-day water fast can help to relieve pain caused by gonorrhea while at the same time boost immune function. Be sure the water you drink is pure and filtered. If you are unable to tolerate a water fast, fasting on fresh squeezed, organic fruit and vegetable juices is a healthy alternative.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef.
www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc are effective due to their proven ability to boost and maintain optimal immune function.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
As always the fastest most effective way to receive tailored advice to your own situation, you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Ayurvedic practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Bala or Beejbanda
All four of these are potent herbs which are highly recommended. An ayurvedic diet recommends foods that are not too dry – so roasted foods should be avoided. Pungent foods should be avoided. Kanji (the water left behind when rice is cooked) is highly recommended. This could be flavoured with a dash of ghee, made from cow’s milk. Drinking a glass of milk before bed is also recommended, and barley and oats should be added to the diet where possible. All cold foods (especially frozen ones such as ice-cream) should be avoided. Avoid fruits with a high water content and avoid alcohol.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
To receive bespoke advice based upon your own situation you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
The following Chinese formulas are often used: Jia Wei Gui Pi Tang, Qing Xin Lian Zi Yin and Xiang Chuan Jie Du Qi.
The following herbs are also often used: rhizome smilacis glabrae (greenbrier); fructus forsythia (weeping forsythia); flos lonicerae (honeysuckle), semen coicis (coix seed), semen plantaginis (plantain seed), rhizome imperatae , artemesai scorpariae (wormwood) and cortex phellodendri (armur cork tree.)
Acupuncture is also recommended.
The recommended essential oils are sandalwood, frankincense and cedarwood.
To ensure positive results, always check that the essential oil is a 100% pure plant distillation and that it comes from a reputable source.
Owing to the principles behind homeopathy (link to full description of what it is) it is essential you see a licensed practitioner to receive your own personalised prescription. Find your closest Homeopath here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Pulsatilla and podophyllum are helpful homeopathic remedies.
The most effective herbal remedy for treating gonnerhea is goldenseal. Goldenseal can also enhance the effectiveness of drug treatments when they are necessary.
Other useful herbs for treating gonorrhea include chimaphilla, cranberry extract, Echinacea, and saw palmetto berries.
The juices of apples, carrots, celery, cranberry, cucumber, grapes, parsley, pomegranate, and watermelon are all recommended. Juices made from green vegetables are also highly recommended.
The sour sop or guyabano fruit which belongs to the family of Annonaceae, can be juiced and taken in orally as a herbal home remedy and natural cure for urethritis. It naturally contains high amounts of Vitamins C, B1 and B2, potassium and dietary fiber.
Considered to be a natural cure for gonorrhea, Mangosteen has antibacterial properties, especially in the rind (skin) which can be made into a decoction.
Tea Tree Oil – a common home remedy is to take a tampon, mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with 3 drops of coconut oil, let the tampon absorb it and insert into the vagina.
Apple Cider Vinegar – a well known cure for gonorrhoea. Mix a teaspoon in some coconut oil and use a fresh tampon to absorb the liquid. Insert the tampon into the vagina. Apple cider vinegar can also be used externally. For this, you will need approximately 5 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Mix the solution and bathe affected areas.
Garlic – a fresh paste can be made from garlic cloves and applied to the affected areas.
The physical postures and breathing exercises comprising the practice of yoga have long been proven by scientific research to promote feelings of relaxation while simultaneously strengthening the body. Research conducted since the 1970s has shown that regular yoga practice not only relieves stress, and stressful emotions such as anxiety and depression, but also improves blood pressure rates and overall cardiovascular health. Yoga is also effective for reducing pain, improving gastrointestinal and respiratory function, and for improving cognitive function and enhancing sight and hearing.
Note: If you are just beginning to explore yoga, it is recommended that you initially do so under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor who can guide you to become aware of the subtleties involved in each yoga posture as well as the corresponding method of breathing.
Qigong – Is a wonderful form of exercise, breath work and meditation to relieve stress and tension in the body. See article section for more information about the art of qigong.
If your symptoms persist despite the above measures, seek the help of a qualified health professional. The following professional care therapies can also help to treat gonorrhea: Ayurveda, Detoxification therapy, Energy Medicine, Environmental Medicine, Magnet Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Orthomolecular Medicine, Oxygen Therapy, and Traditional Chinese Medicine. (See Glossary for descriptions of these Alternative Therapies.)
Coconut oil is nature’s anti-viral: www.naturalnews.com/026624_oil_coconut.html
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the bodywww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Yoga for improved sexual health: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2t1Fdyfec
Ayurvedic home remedies: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXzFrZ1w70
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Gonorrhea superbug that defies all anti-biotics: www.naturalnews.com/032970_gonorrhea_superbugs.html
Condom errors lead to increase in gonorrhoea: www.naturalnews.com/011289.html
Further Information (links and books)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases, King K. Holmes; Color Atlas and Synopsis of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, H. Hunter Handsfield;The Complete Guide to Natural Remedies for STD STI (Natural Health & Wellness Series)by Balthazar Moreno, Trixie Joyce Burce, Danica Niña Louwe and Neo LothongKum; Mind Your Body: A Sexual Health and Wellness Guide for Women, Beth Howard.
Natural Alternatives to Antibiotics by John McKenna
by Bernie S Siegel
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
Colloidal Silver: The Natural Antibiotic Alternative by Zane Baranowski
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
1,000 Indian Recipes (1,000 Recipes) by Neelam Batra;
Food–Your Miracle Medicine by Jean Carper
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.