Natural Cures For Guillian Barre Syndrome
The symptoms of Guillain-Barré syndrome usually develop one to three weeks after a minor infection, such as a sore throat, cold or gastroenteritis – an infection of the stomach and bowel.
Symptoms often start in the feet and hands before spreading to your arms and then the legs. Initially, sufferers may have:
- Pain, tingling and numbness
- Co-ordination problems and unsteadiness (you may be unable to walk unaided)
- Progressive muscle weakness
The weakness usually affects both sides of the body, and it can get worse over several days.
Nobody knows exactly what causes the illness, but we do know it is due to an immune response to foreign antigens, such as infectious agents (bacteria, etc.) and that the body’s immune system mistargets – attacks good tissue by mistake.
Experts believe our immune system mistakenly attacks gangliosides – compounds which are naturally present in nerve tissues. The most common infection which precedes the development of Guillain-Barre syndrome is Campylobacter jejuni – one of the most widespread causes of human gastroenteritis, but even so, in over half of all cases no previous infection was present (in other words, there was nothing to which the doctor could link the syndrome)
It is believed the flu virus may also trigger an autoimmune response which causes the syndrome.
Experts also believe the foreign agent (bacterium/virus) causes the body’s immune system to attack the myelin sheath of the peripheral nerves. The myelin sheath is a cover that protects the nerve, a bit like the plastic that covers electrical wires. The sheath becomes damaged, causing nerve damage, resulting in faulty sending of signals between nerves and muscles. This faulty wiring causes muscle weakness, numbness and tingling, and eventually paralysis (usually brief).
According to the Guillain- Barré Syndrome Support Group website, sufferers of the illness should maintain an even blood sugar level by eating small, frequent meals – always containing some form of protein. Stimulants such as tea, coffee and refined products should be kept to a minimum, as these play havoc with blood sugar levels, and ultimately deplete the body of nutrition. Sugar in any form should be avoided.
The site goes on to say that any food allergies or intolerances will also further challenge an immune system that is out of balance and should be identified, and the offending foods eliminated. The most common culprits in Europe are wheat, dairy products and citrus fruits.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
If you’re suffering from Guillian Barre Syndrome,antioxidants and other nutrients, such as alpha-lipoic acid or acetyl-L-carnitine, can help supplement the antioxidants that are naturally produced in the body and help maintain healthy nerves – however, always seek advice from your health practitioner before taking anything new.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/squeaky_clean.php
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stresswww.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Boost the immune system with this home remedy www.homeveda.com/other-conditions/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-weak-immune-system.html
Acupuncture case study for treating Guillian Barre: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ngu5WrPDcE
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Ayurvedic herbal treatment for Guillian Barre Syndrome ezinearticles.com/?Guillain-Barre-Syndrome—Ayurvedic-Herbal-Treatment&id=1926797
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.