Natural Cures For Hair Loss
Hair loss can occur due to low thyroid functioning, poor digestion, parasites, nutrient deficiencies such as iron or biotin, hormonal problems, aging, trauma, post-pregnancy, skin disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, and stress. A study in Lancet in September 30, 2000; 356: 1165-1166 suggested that insulin resistance could play a significant role in male pattern baldness. DHT – Dihydrotestosterone (5α-Dihydrotestosterone) is also said to play a major role in hair loss. DHT is a male sex hormone, an androgen. Men and women can lose hair as a consequence of changes in the metabolism of androgen in the body – men more commonly than women.
All of these factors must be considered and ruled out to be sure hair loss is not part of a more serious, underlying condition. Caution: If you begin to lose large amounts of hair suddenly and for no apparent reason, seek prompt medical attention to rule out the possibility of an underlying disease.
Eat an organic, whole foods diet.
Eat foods rich in silica such as potato (with skins intact), green and red peppers, sprouts, and unpeeled cucumbers. Silica gives strength to hair and nails.
Include foods high in iron, such as lean meats and raisins.
Add sea vegetables such as kelp, they are good for the hair and support proper thyroid function.
Be sure to check for and eliminate any foods to which you may be allergic or sensitive.
Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame.
Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
Avoid all fast food restaurants.
Avoid all canned food.
Cut down on grains as they increase insulin, which is thought to be a contributing factor in hair loss.
Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/ The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day / for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met.
- GH3 – a vitamin compound that works at the cellular level to improve overall functioning of the human system. It consists primarily of procaine which is composed of two naturally occurring B vitamins, PABA and DEAE. It increases cell membrane flexibility and conductivity, meaning more nutrients get into the cells and more toxins can be excreted. GH3 users have shown regenerative effects in numerous diseases including thinning and fading of hair.
- Zinc – an important mineral for hair development, take 30mg a day
- Although elevated levels of copper can lead to brittle hair and split ends, low copper levels can also result in hair loss, and should therefore also be considered.
Other supplements essential for healthy hair growth include:
vitamin B complex
free form amino acids, especially cysteine
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this condition – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner
Castor Oil – Rub castor oil into the scalp for ten minutes, next apply a hot damp towel for 30 minutes, and then cover your head with a plastic shower cap and keep in place overnight. The following morning, wash your hair. Do this for two nights, then, repeat this using extra virgin olive oil for two nights, then use wheat germ oil for two nights. Rest one night and repeat the seven-day cycle.
Apple cider vinegar – used as a hair rinse can help stimulate hair growth.
Use Coconut oil – With its Medium Chain Triglycerides or Medium Chain Fatty Acids, it can nourish the hair follicles at the place that hair growth begins. It is a a great pre-wash treatment for deeply conditioning the hair and scalp, it protects the hair cuticles from damage and adds lasting shine.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com,www.tftrx.com or Faster EFT.
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Try guided meditations to help you to relax and let go.
Hold on to your hair – article from Sept 2012 newsletter
Why you should get a shower filter – article from www.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_10_11.pdf
Hair loss inspiration from Olympic medallist www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-19133686
Male Pattern Hair Loss and Thinning www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1G_9bggas
Scalp Massage www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxxeEYBD84
Hair loss, baldness prevention fresh juice recipe www.youtube.com/watch?v=OybtnmNIttk
Caffeine for hair loss www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-430669/Coffee-hold-cure-baldness.html
Cayenne Pepper www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateCayenneCB1-10-08.html
Saw Palmetto www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/811/
Further Information (links and books)
Hair Loss Prevention Through Natural Remedies: A Prescription for Healthier Hair
by Ken Peters, David Stuss, Nick Waddell, David Struss
Regrowing Hair Naturally (Book with hypnosis CD) by Vera Peiffer
Indian Head Massage: Discover the power of touch by Narendra Mehta
Our Toxic World by Doris J. Rapp, M.D.
Hair Products, Morrocco Method
www.morroccomethod.com (805) 534-1600
Herbal Treatment, Saw Palmetto
www.jarrow.com (310) 204-6936
Excess Estrogen ReducerIndole-3-Carbol
www.pureprescriptions.com (800) 860-9583
www.jarrow.com (310) 204-6936
Hair Products, Thymuskin
www.thymuskin.com (706) 219-3836
www.healthmd.com (888) 874-8461
Nickel Eliminator, Paul Oberdorf, NMS Hair
www.nmslabs.com (800) 522-6671
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.