Hemorrhoids (often referred to as piles) are distended veins in the lining of the anus. Because of how widespread the occurrence of hemorrhoids is in the general population, even among children, many conventional physicians consider them to be normal. Holistic physicians, however, recognize that hemorrhoids are not a part of normal health and should be addressed.
They can either be internal, meaning they occur near the beginning of the anus, or external hemorrhoids, occurring at the opening of the anus. Hemorrhoids that protrude outside the anus are known as prolapsing hemorrhoids.
Symptoms of hemorrhoids include bleeding (usually bright red fresh blood that shows up on the toilet paper after wiping), itching, mucus, discomfort, and pain during elimination and, at times, sitting.
Caution: Bleeding during bowel movements needs to be checked to rule out other more serious conditions. If you experience blood in your stool, seek immediate medical attention.
Hemorrhoids are often the result of poor diet, constipation or a sluggish bowel, straining during bowel movements, chronic low-level dehydration, lack of exercise, and/or a sedentary lifestyle. Correcting these factors can be very helpful in preventing and eliminating hemorrhoids. They are also very common during pregnancy.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com/ Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment. We suggest several at-home hydrotherapy treatments. Please seek the advice of your alternative health care practitioner before undergoing these procedures to make sure they are appropriate for you.
*Purified water is essential for any hydrotherapy treatment. Remedies for Treating Chlorinated Bath Water offers clear instructions and recommendations.
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitionerhere.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Water www.drinkrealwater.com/
Eat an organic, whole foods diet that emphasizes high-fiber foods, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables (especially dark green, leafy vegetables, such as kale), grains such as brown rice and millet, and lean, organic meats and poultry. Also drink plenty of healthy beverages, such as herbal teas, fresh squeezed juice, and pure, filtered water.
The following nutrients can help prevent and reverse hemorrhoids: vitamin C with bioflavonoids and rutin, vitamin A, beta carotene, vitamin B complex, folic acid, essential fatty acids, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. Linseed oil (one teaspoon upon arising and at night) can also be used to help soften stools.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day nc.vitaminstrength.com for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
- Vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant and immune booster (Unique E) www.acgrace.com
- Zinc – take 100-120 ml per day of zinc sulfate heptahydrate until symptoms improve, which may take two weeks
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
- Learn to love yourself and stop berating yourself. What you say to yourself is what you are or what you become. Watch mindfulness films such as What the Bleep Do We Know www.whatthebleep.com and You Can Heal Your Lifewww.youcanhealyourlifemovie.com and start using powerful positive affirmations such as “I take loving care of my body” and “I am ready to change” Say the phrase over and over again until you start to believe them. Never underestimate the power of your mind.
- Meditate and allow yourself to be still. This may be really difficult for you at first but stick with it building up your time slowly. Often people create an eating disorder in order to fill a void, to stop them from thinking and feeling, and to give them something to focus on. Try guided meditations to help you to relax and let go of negative programming.
We recommend you consult a licensed practitioner but the following remedy is useful: Drink 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice three times daily until symptoms clear. The Ayurvedic herbal compound triphala is also very effective for relieving hemorrhoid pain and for promoting the overall health of the gastrointestinal tract.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
We recommend you visit a licensed practitioner to ensure that your treatment is tailor-made. Some Chinese medicines which are used include Heye Wan, Huaijiao Wan, Huazhi Wan, Zanglian Wan Xiaozhi Pian and Zhining Jichang San, Zangsuan Fang. Hebs to invigorate where there is a prolapse of the retum (external haemorrhoids) include Buzhong Yiqi Tang. To ease swelling, pain the bearing-down sensation, Rusheng Tang, Qinjiu Pian or Qinjiu Baizhu Wan are administered.
The following treatments can also alleviate symptoms: Make a herbal compress of Pu Gong Ying, or Jiu Hua Gao, or Wu Bei Zi San and apply to the area for 10 minutes, 4 times per day.
Wash or steam the affected area with salty water or Fu Feng Jing Xi Ji, Ku Shen, Pu Gong Ying, Huang Bai.
Acupuncture has also proven to be beneficial.
Cypress, juniper, frankincense, or niaouli.
The following are useul: Aloe, Hamamelis, Nux vom., Berberis, Acidum fluor., and Thuja are helpful homeopathic remedies.
The aptly named herb pilewort is a staple treatment for hemorrhoids in Europe because of its effectiveness in reducing hemorrhoid symptoms. Collinsonia is another highly effective herbal remedy for hemorrhoids. As a topical application, mix 10 ml of collinsonia tincture with 80 ml of distilled witch hazel and apply this combination after every bowel motion and as needed. Other useful herbs include bilberry, buckthorn bark, butcher`s broom, comfrey root, gotu kola, parsley, passionflower, and stone root.
Flower Essences Rescue Remedy Cream® can be applied to external hemorrhoids to ease symptoms.
Juice Therapy The following juice combinations can help keep the bowels regular and soften stools: carrot, spinach, celery, and parsley; carrot and watercress; or beet juice.
Topical Treatment Apply a combination of zinc oxide, vitamin E, and aloe vera gel or olive oil to the affected area. Witch hazel applied topically can help shrink hemorrhoids, while calendula ointment can help relieve pain and itching.
Reflexology The points to work on are: diaphragm, adrenals, rectum, sigmoid, lower spine as well as the chronic area up the back of the heel.
Oxygen Therapy Ozone intestinal insufflation; ozonated olive oil
Alternative Professional Care
If your symptoms persist despite the above measures, seek the help of a qualified health professional. The following professional care therapies have all been shown to be useful for treating hemorrhoids: Acupuncture, Applied Kinesiology, Bodywork, Detoxification Therapy, Environmental Medicine, Guided Imagery, Light Therapy, Magnetic Field Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Osteopathy, Oxygen Therapy (Ozone insufflation), Qigong, Prolotherapy, Reflexology, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Yoga. (See Glossary for descriptions of these Alternative Therapies.)
Healing herbs for haemorrhoids: www.naturalnews.com/023805_hemorrhoids_healing_body.html
Common herbal tinctures offer relief: www.naturalnews.com/028901_hemorrhoids_remedies.html
Ayurvedic home remedies for hemorrhoids: www.youtube.com/watch?v=61g6NOlH5Vk
Simple home effective remedy: ayurvedichomeremedies.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/ayurvedic-home-remedies-simple.html
Anti-oxidants in chickweed may relieve haemorrhoids: www.naturalnews.com/034962_chickweed_antioxidants_cancer.html
Further Information (links and books)
Effective Natural Hemorrhoids Treatment by Rudy Silva
Natural Hemorrhoid Remedies: The Hemorrhoid Self-Treatment Handbook by Jillian Armstrong.
Triphala, Ayurveda Organics
Rescue Remedy®, Bach Flower Essences
www.caycecures.com (800) 862-2923
www.gaiaherbs.com (888) 917-8269
Flax Seed Oil
www.barleans.com (800) 445-3529
Witch hazel and calendula ointment
www.gaiaherbs.com (888) 917-8269