Although most people with hiatal hernia experience no symptoms, when symptoms do occur, they primarily manifest as chest pain or heartburn, which can be made worse by bending over, especially after eating, or exacerbated at night or when lying down.
Hiatal hernia can sometimes cause material from the stomach to pushed up into the esophagus. This is called esophageal reflux and can cause the heartburn. The pain of hiatal hernia can also mimic other health problems such as stomach ulcers or heart attacks.
The people most prone to hiatal hernia are smokers and people who are overweight.
Hiatal hernia is often due to chronic, extreme tension in the psoas and quadratus lumborum, two large muscles that merge with the diaphragm, causing the diaphragm to become chronically stressed. Osteopathic manipulation can help normalize these muscles.
Avoid overeating and minimize your intake of spicy foods, fried foods, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, citrus juices, alcohol, whipped cream, milk shakes, peppermint, green and red peppers, and onion, all of which can worsen symptoms. Also avoid eating large meals and then lying down or bending over, and do not drink too much during and after meals. While your condition exists, it is best to eat small meals throughout the day, rather than the typical three-meal plan.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef, www.grasslandbeef.com. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
The digestive enzymes pancreatin and hydrochloric acid can help relieve symptoms, as can aloe vera juice. Vitamin B complex and a multivitamin/mineral formula can also help.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Address acid reflux to prevent Barrett’s esophagus: www.naturalnews.com/031388_acid_reflux_solutions.html
Zinc and acid reflux: www.livestrong.com/article/417871-new-research-done-on-zinc-for-acid-reflux
Natural remedies for acid reflux: www.naturalnews.com/032156_bloating_natural_remedies.html
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Acid reflux: natural Remedies : www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bokf72-cfc
Acid Reflux Cured Naturally /www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NlzrB5pHCw
Ayurvedic treatment for acid reflux: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUsx55L7Zc
Acid Reflux – Home treatment (Ayurveda): www.youtube.com/watch?v=toWNEQuvIi4
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
The importance of keeping your colon clean: www.naturalnews.com/033165_colon_cleansing_health.html
Precipitating causes of acid reflux – GUT, International Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology: gut.bmj.com/content/36/4/505
Patterns of Gas and Acid Reflux – GUT, International Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology :gut.bmj.com/content/44/1/47.abstract
No link between acid reflux and shorter survival rates study funds www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080103182902.htm
Acid Reflux medicines do more harm than good: www.naturalnews.com/019756_heartburn_antacids.html
Further Information (links and books)
Natural Alternatives to Nexium, Maalox, Tagamet, Prilosec & Other Acid Blockers: What to Use to Relieve Acid Reflux, Heartburn, and Gastric Ailments by Martie Whittekin; Digestive Wellness: Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion, Fourth Edition by Elizabeth Lipski ; No More Heartburn: Stop the Pain in 30 Days–Naturally! : The Safe, Effective Way to Prevent and Heal Chronic Gastrointestinal Disorders by Sherry A. Rogers; Hiatus Hernia: Safe Alternatives Without Drugs (Thorsons Natural Health) by Joan Lay
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Essential Oils www.amoils.com