Symptoms of pellagra include diarrhea, dementia, and dermatitis; redness and swelling of tongue and lips; burning of the mouth, pharynx, and esophagus; abdominal distention and pain or discomfort in the abdominal area; poor digestion; vomiting; weakness; weight loss; stress and irritability; poor tolerance to cold; and impaired memory, confusion, and paranoia. In some cases, the skin can also turn dark, becoming thicker, rougher, and very dry.
Note: Since multiple deficiencies of all the B vitamins and protein often occur together, both a dietary and nutritional supplementation program need to be implemented and should be created under the guidance of a health practitioner trained in diet and nutrition.
It can be due to alcoholism, a diet high in maize (Indian corn), severe diarrhea, parasites, cirrhosis of the liver, post-surgical nutrient deficiencies, stress, genetic predisposition, and consumption of junk foods, which are very low in B vitamins and high in refined sugars that deplete B vitamins.
Note: Before a diagnosis of pellagra can be made, you must first be sure that tongue and lip redness and swelling is from pellagra and not due to other vitamin deficiencies or diseases. Do the same for symptoms of diarrhea, and skin and central nervous system disorders that may be caused from other diseases.
Healthy eating is of primary importance. Drink plenty of pure filtered water and increase your intake of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, and complex whole grains, as well as organic, free-range meats, poultry, and wild-caught fish.
Avoid all commercial, processed, fried, and nonorganic food, as well as alcohol, coffee, sugars, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, food dyes, milk and dairy products, wheat and wheat products, and refined carbohydrates. Minimize your intake of maize. Do not eat saturated, trans-, hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated fats and oils. Instead choose from virgin coconut butter/oil, extra virgin olive oil, high lignin flax seed oil, and unrefined hemp seed, walnut, and sunflower oils.
In addition, have yourself screened for potential food allergies and sensitivities and avoid those foods for which you test positive.
Eat organic foods that are high in niacin and other B vitamins, protein, and the amino acid tryptophan. Such foods include organic whole grains, bananas, raw seeds and nuts, peanuts, liver, avocados, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, legumes, collard greens, enriched breads and cereals, salmon, halibut, tuna, swordfish, skinless breast of chicken, and turkey.
For the complete whole foods eating plan we recommend to heal and eliminate all imbalances and disease, connect to the full article: Whole Foods Diet. In many cases, a raw food eating plan can be extremely beneficial. To learn more, read Raw Food Diet.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Supplement with vitamin B 3, which is available in two forms, niacin and niacinamide. Niacin in doses of 100 mg or more can sometimes cause flushing and chills; many people prefer niacinamide, which does not produce such symptoms. However, the symptoms are harmless and niacin is the preferred form of vitamin B3 for pellagra.
Also supplement with vitamin B complex and free form amino acids.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Nutritional origins of vitamin deficiency: www.naturalnews.com/023580_disease_nutrition_corn.html
Vitamins and dark circles: www.naturalnews.com/029502_dark_circles_eyes.html
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Pellagra- a presentation: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDeVyiXzyg
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Vitamin B3 kills superbugs: www.naturalnews.com/037149_vitamin_B3_superbugs_nicotinamide.html
Importance of vitamin B3: www.nutrientreference.com/Vitamin_b3-2.html
Further Information (links and books)
Wired for Joy by Laurel Mellin
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Essential Oils www.amoils.com