Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
A rare brain disorder that causes serious and progressive problems with control of gait and balance, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) can also cause complex eye movement and thinking problems (blurring). The word ‘progressive’ indicates that the disease begins slowly and continues to get worse, causing weakness (palsy) by damaging certain parts of the brain above pea-sized structures called nuclei that control eye movements (supranuclear).
Affected individuals may show alterations of mood and behaviour, including depression and apathy, as well as progressive mild dementia.
Around 20,000 Americans – one in every 100,000 people over aged 60 – have PSP, with men being affected more often than women. There is no evidence that PSP is contagious, and genetic factors have not been implicated in most individuals.
First described as a distinct disorder in the 1960s when three scientists published a paper which distinguished the condition from Parkinson’s disease. Sometimes referred to as Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome (reflecting the combined names of the scientists who defined the illness), although the condition gets progressively worse, no one dies from PSP itself.
Symptoms of PSP include:
- Loss of balance while walking
- Unexplained falls or a stiffness or awkwardness in gait
- Changes in personality, such as a loss of interest in ordinary pleasurable activities, or increased irritability, and forgetfulness. Sufferers may also laugh or cry for no apparent reason or have angry outbursts, also for no apparent reason
- Blurring of vision/problems controlling eye movement
- Inability to maintain eye contact during a conversation
- Slurred speech
- Tremors (in rare cases)
Symptoms of PSP are caused by a gradual deterioration of brain cells in a few specific areas in the brain, mainly in the ‘brainstem’ region. One of these areas, the substantia nigra, is also affected in Parkinson’s disease, and damage to this region of the brain accounts in part for the motor symptoms that Parkinson’s and PSP have in common.
While scientists do not fully know what causes these brain cells to degenerate, it is known that the hallmark of the disease is a result of the accumulation of an abnormal protein called tau.
There are several theories about PSP; one is the possibility that an unconventional virus-like agent infects the body and takes years or decades to start producing visible effects. Another is that random genetic mutations, of the kind that occur in all of us all the time, happen to occur in particular cells or certain genes, in just the right combination to injure these cells.
It’s also thought there is exposure to some unknown chemical in the food, air, or water which slowly damages certain vulnerable areas of the brain. This theory stems from a clue found on the Pacific island of Guam, where a common neurological disease occurring only there and on a few neighboring islands shares some of the characteristics of PSP, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease). Its cause is thought to be a dietary factor or toxic substance found only in that area.
Cellular damage caused by free radicals is believed to be another possible cause; reactive molecules produced continuously by all cells during normal metabolism. Although the body has built-in mechanisms for clearing free radicals from the system, scientists suspect that, under certain circumstances, free radicals can react with and damage other molecules.
Sufferers of PSP should follow a well-balanced diet, incorporating food and liquids that are easier to slower. For example, mashed potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, while scrambled eggs and cheese are high in protein and calcium.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
- CoEnzyme Q10 and vitamin E are believed to be beneficial in the treatment of progressive supra nuclearpalsy
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of four weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Miller’s Iching System Products
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here, or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation Colloidal Silver)
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective
Home remedy for dizziness as a result of PSP
Further Information (links and books)
Holistic remedies for slurred speech
Natural Alternatives to Antibiotics by John McKenna
The Healing Power of Nature Foods: 50 Revitalizing Superfoods & Lifestyle Choices To Promote Vibrant Health by Susan Smith Jones
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
Colloidal Silver: The Natural Antibiotic Alternative by Zane Baranowski
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Joanne Callaghan – [email protected] www.RogerCallahan.com Thought Field Therapy (TF) releasing unresolved emotions, stress and illness.
Clean well – Natural Cleaning Products
EMF necklace – blocker and stress reducing pendant
Neutralize electromagnetic chaos