Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
A rare brain disorder that causes serious and progressive problems with control of gait and balance, progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) can also cause complex eye movement and thinking problems (blurring). The word ‘progressive’ indicates that the disease begins slowly and continues to get worse, causing weakness (palsy) by damaging certain parts of the brain above pea-sized structures called nuclei that control eye movements (supranuclear).
Affected individuals may show alterations of mood and behaviour, including depression and apathy, as well as progressive mild dementia.
Around 20,000 Americans – one in every 100,000 people over aged 60 – have PSP, with men being affected more often than women. There is no evidence that PSP is contagious, and genetic factors have not been implicated in most individuals.
First described as a distinct disorder in the 1960s when three scientists published a paper which distinguished the condition from Parkinson’s disease. Sometimes referred to as Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome (reflecting the combined names of the scientists who defined the illness), although the condition gets progressively worse, no one dies from PSP itself.
Symptoms of PSP include:
- Loss of balance while walking
- Unexplained falls or a stiffness or awkwardness in gait
- Changes in personality, such as a loss of interest in ordinary pleasurable activities, or increased irritability, and forgetfulness. Sufferers may also laugh or cry for no apparent reason or have angry outbursts, also for no apparent reason
- Blurring of vision/problems controlling eye movement
- Inability to maintain eye contact during a conversation
- Slurred speech
- Tremors (in rare cases)
Symptoms of PSP are caused by a gradual deterioration of brain cells in a few specific areas in the brain, mainly in the ‘brainstem’ region. One of these areas, the substantia nigra, is also affected in Parkinson’s disease, and damage to this region of the brain accounts in part for the motor symptoms that Parkinson’s and PSP have in common.
While scientists do not fully know what causes these brain cells to degenerate, it is known that the hallmark of the disease is a result of the accumulation of an abnormal protein called tau.
There are several theories about PSP; one is the possibility that an unconventional virus-like agent infects the body and takes years or decades to start producing visible effects. Another is that random genetic mutations, of the kind that occur in all of us all the time, happen to occur in particular cells or certain genes, in just the right combination to injure these cells.
It’s also thought there is exposure to some unknown chemical in the food, air, or water which slowly damages certain vulnerable areas of the brain. This theory stems from a clue found on the Pacific island of Guam, where a common neurological disease occurring only there and on a few neighboring islands shares some of the characteristics of PSP, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease). Its cause is thought to be a dietary factor or toxic substance found only in that area.
Cellular damage caused by free radicals is believed to be another possible cause; reactive molecules produced continuously by all cells during normal metabolism. Although the body has built-in mechanisms for clearing free radicals from the system, scientists suspect that, under certain circumstances, free radicals can react with and damage other molecules.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
Try gentle exercise with weighted walking aids; see the ‘Other’ section of this Find a Cure document for more details.
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
- Try an Enerhealth Botanicals cleanse. Click here to discover more
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitioner here.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Water www.drinkrealwater.com
Sufferers of PSP should follow a well-balanced diet, incorporating food and liquids that are easier to slower. For example, mashed potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, while scrambled eggs and cheese are high in protein and calcium.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
- CoEnzyme Q10 and vitamin E are believed to be beneficial in the treatment of progressive supra nuclearpalsy
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of four weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Miller’s Iching System Products
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here, or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
As always the fastest most effective way to receive tailored advice to your own situation, you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Ayurvedic practitionershere.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
An online case study suggested looking into Ayurvedic treatment along with Pañcakarma and balance exercises for three months. As part of Āyurvedic treatment, firstVirecana karma was used, followed by Mātrā basti, Śirobasti, and other palliative treatment was given for three months. Amanatidine was not continued during Virecana karma but started thereafter. On comparison with pre-intervention scores, there was a significant improvement in the patient post-treatment, according to the online case study. Features which mainly showed improvement were: Eye movements, spontaneous episodes of laughing, dysphagia, dysarthria, double vision, and neck rigidity. Balance showed significant improvement and there was a remarkable decrease in the postural sway. This case study may present new possibilities for treatment of neurodegenerative diseases by Āyurveda.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
To receive bespoke advice based upon your own situation you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners here.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Modern studies suggest that acupuncture can be used to great effect on neurological and musculo-skeletal disorders. As acupuncture can help your body to rebalance the nerve system without chemical side effects, this can help alleviate symptoms of conditions like PSP. Please do speak to your local Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner before embarking on a new treatment.
Single Chinese herbs are believed to be beneficial, but always speak to your nearest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner before embarking on any new treatment.
Beneficial herbs may include Wisconsin ginseng, Korean red ginseng, Achyranthes bidentata (niu qi), Arctium tomentosa (Arctium lappa, niu bang), and Acanthopanax (wu jia).
The following essential oils are believed to be beneficial to help alleviate the symptoms of neurological disorders:
Wintergreen or birch
Use 4 drops of essential oil per 25ml of carrier oil.
To ensure positive results, always check that the essential oil is a 100% pure plant distillation and that it comes from a reputable source.
Owing to the principles behind homeopathy it is essential you see a licensed practitioner to receive your own personalised prescription. Find your closest Homeopath here.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Homeopathy can help in at least treating the symptoms and retarding the progress of the PSP.
First and foremost, homeopathic practitioners may recommend Kalium phosphoricum, but do speak to your local health practitioner before embarking on any new treatment.
Ginger and gingko biloba are beneficial for treating dizziness – a symptom of Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.
Individuals can try weighted walking aids, because of their tendency to fall backward. Bifocals or special glasses called prisms are sometimes prescribed for people with PSP to remedy the difficulty of looking down. Formal physical therapy is of no proven benefit in PSP, but certain exercises can be done to keep the joints limber.
Yoga – The physical postures and breathing exercises comprising the practice of yoga have long been proven by scientific research to promote feelings of relaxation while simultaneously strengthening the body. Research conducted since the 1970s has shown that regular yoga practice not only relieves stress, and stressful emotions such as anxiety and depression, but also improves blood pressure rates and overall cardiovascular health. Yoga is also effective for reducing pain, improving gastrointestinal and respiratory function, and for improving cognitive function and enhancing sight and hearing.
Note: If you are just beginning to explore yoga, it is recommended that you initially do so under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor who can guide you to become aware of the subtleties involved in each yoga posture as well as the corresponding method of breathing.
Qigong – Is a wonderful form of exercise, breath work and meditation to relieve stress and tension in the body. See article section for more information about the art of qigong.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing
Further Information (links and books)
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.