A rare disease that causes body cells to form into clumps, called granulomas, in the organs of the body (often the lungs and the skin), sarcoidosis affects every person differently and symptoms tend to depend on which organs are affected.
For most people, the disease will go away of its own accord without treatment after a few years. Usually, symptoms of sarcoidosis aren’t crippling and do not affect everyday life.
The disease is, for most people, short-lived and symptoms may clear and never return (acute sarcoidosis).
Some people with sarcoidosis don’t have any symptoms at all; the disease is diagnosed after an X-ray.
A small number of people may find that their symptoms appear gradually and get worse over time, to the point where they become severely affected.
Lots of granulomas may form in an organ and prevent it from working properly; this form of the disease is known as chronic sarcoidosis.
The condition usually begins in the lungs, skin and/or lymph nodes.
Lung symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- A persistent dry cough
Skin symptoms include:
- Tender, reddish bumps or patches on the skin, particularly the shins
- Rashes on the upper body
Other symptoms of scarcoidosis may include:
- Tender and swollen glands in the face, neck, armpits or groin
- Fatigue/general feeling of being unwell
- Sore joints
- red or sore eyes
- An abnormal heart rhythm
- A stuffy nose
- Pain in the bones
- Kidney stones
- Hearing loss
The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown, but there is a belief that several factors may be involved in the occurrence of the disease.
Some experts are of the opinion that the condition occurs when the immune system is triggered by bacteria, viruses or dust; when the immune cells respond to such triggers, there is a release of certain chemicals. Other cells are therefore stimulated into isolating and destroying the irritant. Inflammation is a natural part of this immune response and this inflammation subsides once the irritant is gone.
However, people with Sarcoidosis experience persistent inflammation and the immune cells may even form clumps in the body organs known as granulomas.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
Avoid red meat, white flour, sugary foods, full fat dairy products, alcohol, trans fatty acids and oily foods.
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
- Try an Enerhealth Botanicals cleanse. Click here to discover more
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitioner here.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Waterwww.drinkrealwater.com
Here’s a list of foods which should be avoided by a sarcoidosis patient for an improved chance of recovery:
Red meat, white flour, sugary foods, full fat dairy products, alcohol, trans fatty acids and oily foods
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Vitamin D is an important vitamin for sarcoidosis, as is calcium. Patients may also be advised to increase their intake of foods containing the vitamins A, B-complex, C and E.
As well as vitamin D, a multivitamin consisting of vitamins A, B-complex, C and E and minerals like zinc, calcium and selenium may also need to be taken daily. Omega-3 fatty acids help in alleviating inflammation in the body. Fish oil is a good example of omega-3 fatty acids, which is beneficial for individuals with the illness.
Fish, including salmon and cod, is valuable additions to the diet. Fish oil supplements are also believed to be beneficial. Always remember to consult your local health practitioner before using any of these supplements.
Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of four weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Miller’s Iching System Products
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here, or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
As always the fastest most effective way to receive tailored advice to your own situation, you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Ayurvedic practitioners here.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
There are many herbal remedies for sarcoidosis described in Ayurveda and the name of the disease may be “ama-Vata ( similar to Rheumatism in aetiopathology and pathogenesis) or Sannipaitik aamaj granthi rog”
The treatment described in Ayurveda is as per the doshic theory, i.e. maintaining the balance of Vata-Pitta-Kapha, and many patients respond well to the treatment.
Some ayurvedic medicines worth looking into include cap.curcumin, tab.kachnaar guggul, tablet Kishore guggul, praval panchamrit, swarn basant malti ras, heerak bhasma, swarn makshik bhasma, mukta pishti, giloy satv, yashad bhasma, abhrak bhasma.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
To receive bespoke advice based upon your own situation you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners here.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Acupuncture therapy for sarcoidosis is aimed at draining excess and can work to resolve phlegm accumulation. It also helps in normalization of internal environment in body.
Astragalus is often used in Chinese medicine as a part of herbal mixtures to prevent or treat upper respiratory tract infections
Evidence suggests that aromatherapy may aid mucus clearance in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Essential oils should be administered in a carrier oil to avoid toxicity. Avoid with history of allergic dermatitis. Use cautiously if driving/operating heavy machinery. Avoid consuming essential oils. Avoid direct contact of undiluted oils with mucous membranes. Use cautiously if pregnant.
For lung health, livestrong.com recommends the following:
Add two to three cups of water to a clean saucepan or small cooking pot. Turn the burner on high and bring the water to a boil.
Add 10 to 15 drops of organic eucalyptus essential oil to the boiling water and cover the saucepan with a lid. Remove the pan from the burner and turn off the burner.
Bend your head over the pan and arrange a towel to hang from your head around the pot: this will help ensure that the vapors waft toward your nose and mouth.
Remove the lid from the saucepan and breathe in the hot eucalyptus steam that emerges from the pan with deep breaths through your nose. Breathe deeply at a count of 10 to 15 seconds as the eucalyptus vapors enter your lungs and hold your breath. Gently exhale and repeat the deep breathing up to three times. If needed, add more drops of eucalyptus oil to the pot.
Repeat the eucalyptus oil inhalation twice a day as needed and any time that congestion symptoms occur.
Use 4 drops of essential oil per 25ml of carrier oil.
To ensure positive results, always check that the essential oil is a 100% pure plant distillation and that it comes from a reputable source.
Owing to the principles behind homeopathy it is essential you see a licensed practitioner to receive your own personalised prescription. Find your closest Homeopath here.
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Homeopathic remedies for sarcoidosis include the following:
- Tuberculinum bovinum
- Arsenicum album
Try any of the following herbs for sarcoidosis, but do consult your local health practitioner first:
- Goldenseal root, red root, burdock root, ocotillo, Echinacea root and wild indigo have a cleansing effect on the body and can be beneficial for those with the condition.
- Herbs that help to purify and strengthen the body include nettle leaf, dandelion root, elder berries, yellow dock root and cayenne are also believed to be helpful in treating the condition.
- Ginseng, licorice root and kelp. Help improve the functioning of the endocrine and glandular system.
- Herbs that aid in the process of healing include marshmallow, red raspberry, Irish moss and slippery elm bark are also thought to have a positive effect on patients.
Yoga – The physical postures and breathing exercises comprising the practice of yoga have long been proven by scientific research to promote feelings of relaxation while simultaneously strengthening the body. Research conducted since the 1970s has shown that regular yoga practice not only relieves stress, and stressful emotions such as anxiety and depression, but also improves blood pressure rates and overall cardiovascular health. Yoga is also effective for reducing pain, improving gastrointestinal and respiratory function, and for improving cognitive function and enhancing sight and hearing.
Note: If you are just beginning to explore yoga, it is recommended that you initially do so under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor who can guide you to become aware of the subtleties involved in each yoga posture as well as the corresponding method of breathing.
Qigong – Is a wonderful form of exercise, breath work and meditation to relieve stress and tension in the body. See article section for more information about the art of qigong.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing
Further Information (links and books)
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead email@example.com – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt firstname.lastname@example.org – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA email@example.com – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad firstname.lastname@example.org – herbalist.
Kath May email@example.com – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges firstname.lastname@example.org – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika email@example.com – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.