A rare disease that causes body cells to form into clumps, called granulomas, in the organs of the body (often the lungs and the skin), sarcoidosis affects every person differently and symptoms tend to depend on which organs are affected.
For most people, the disease will go away of its own accord without treatment after a few years. Usually, symptoms of sarcoidosis aren’t crippling and do not affect everyday life.
The disease is, for most people, short-lived and symptoms may clear and never return (acute sarcoidosis).
Some people with sarcoidosis don’t have any symptoms at all; the disease is diagnosed after an X-ray.
A small number of people may find that their symptoms appear gradually and get worse over time, to the point where they become severely affected.
Lots of granulomas may form in an organ and prevent it from working properly; this form of the disease is known as chronic sarcoidosis.
The condition usually begins in the lungs, skin and/or lymph nodes.
Lung symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- A persistent dry cough
Skin symptoms include:
- Tender, reddish bumps or patches on the skin, particularly the shins
- Rashes on the upper body
Other symptoms of scarcoidosis may include:
- Tender and swollen glands in the face, neck, armpits or groin
- Fatigue/general feeling of being unwell
- Sore joints
- red or sore eyes
- An abnormal heart rhythm
- A stuffy nose
- Pain in the bones
- Kidney stones
- Hearing loss
The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown, but there is a belief that several factors may be involved in the occurrence of the disease.
Some experts are of the opinion that the condition occurs when the immune system is triggered by bacteria, viruses or dust; when the immune cells respond to such triggers, there is a release of certain chemicals. Other cells are therefore stimulated into isolating and destroying the irritant. Inflammation is a natural part of this immune response and this inflammation subsides once the irritant is gone.
However, people with Sarcoidosis experience persistent inflammation and the immune cells may even form clumps in the body organs known as granulomas.
Here’s a list of foods which should be avoided by a sarcoidosis patient for an improved chance of recovery:
Red meat, white flour, sugary foods, full fat dairy products, alcohol, trans fatty acids and oily foods
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Vitamin D is an important vitamin for sarcoidosis, as is calcium. Patients may also be advised to increase their intake of foods containing the vitamins A, B-complex, C and E.
As well as vitamin D, a multivitamin consisting of vitamins A, B-complex, C and E and minerals like zinc, calcium and selenium may also need to be taken daily. Omega-3 fatty acids help in alleviating inflammation in the body. Fish oil is a good example of omega-3 fatty acids, which is beneficial for individuals with the illness.
Fish, including salmon and cod, is valuable additions to the diet. Fish oil supplements are also believed to be beneficial. Always remember to consult your local health practitioner before using any of these supplements.
Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of four weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Miller’s Iching System Products
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here, or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing
Further Information (links and books)
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.