Types of Scoliosis:
There are a number of different types of scoliosis, ranging from congenital scoliosis, meaning scoliosis that occurs due to birth defects of the spine, inflammatory scoliosis, which is caused by inflammation of the spine, and osteopathic scoliosis, which is due to deformities within the spinal vertebrae. By far the most common type of scoliosis, however, is idiopathic scoliosis, meaning scoliosis with no known cause, which affects people who are otherwise healthy and accounts for more than 80 per cent of all cases of scoliosis. Idiopathic scoliosis is divided into four categories based on a person`s age: infantile scoliosis (children 3 and under), juvenile scoliosis (children 3-9 years old), adolescent scoliosis (children and teens, 10-18 years old), and adult scoliosis, which occurs after a person stops growing in height. Of these subcategories, the most common form of scoliosis is adolescent scoliosis.
Symptoms of Scoliosis:
The most common symptoms of scoliosis, in addition to the obvious abnormal curvature of the spine are shoulders of different heights, with one shoulder blade jutting out more prominently than the other; head not centered directly above the pelvis; a raised, jutting hip; different heights between the left and right rib cage; uneven waist; changes in the look or texture of the skin overlying the spine, such as dimples, hairy patches, and/or color changes; and tilting of the entire body to one side.
The most common causes of non-idiopathic scoliosis are birth defects and other genetic conditions, neuromuscular problems, and leg-length disparity. Scoliosis can also be caused by disease conditions, such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, and tumors, all of which require prompt medical attention. Although conventional medicine claims there are no known causes of idiopathic scoliosis, alternative health practitioners disagree. From the perspective of alternative medicine, idiopathic scoliosis is primarily caused by misalignments of the spine (known as subluxations, according to chiropractic theory) and/or stagnation in the body`s flow of vital energy.
Subluxations cause pressure to be exerted on the nerves that pass through the spine. Over time, this nerve pressure can cause muscles along the spine to tighten and contract along one side of the spine, while corresponding muscles along the opposite of the spine weaken. This causes the vertebrae of the spine to be pulled in the direction of the contracting spine, causing scoliosis.
Stagnation of the body`s vital energy, known as qi by practitioners of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine, can also cause spinal muscles to tighten and contract, pulling the vertebrae out of alignment and causing the spine to become curved.
Finally, one of the most common causes of idiopathic scoliosis, especially in teenagers and adults, is habitual posture, both while sitting and standing. As your poor posture habits become more pronounced, your body is forced to compensate. This compensation process can also cause muscle contraction and lead to scoliosis.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Calcium and magnesium supplements can help your back muscles to relax, thereby helping to release chronic muscle contraction that is associated with scoliosis.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details herekevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Bad posture equals bad health: www.naturalnews.com/030956_posture_health.html
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healingwww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/recommends/
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong(from August 2012 newsletter)
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT (June 2012 newsletter)
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress (Oct 2012 newsletter)
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout (Oct 2012 newsletter)
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effectivewww.naturalcures.com
Naturopathy and scoliosis: www.kentfamilychiropractic.com/Scoliosis/Scoliosis-Sciatica-Ayurveda/
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Inversion therapy and scoliosis: www.naturalnews.com/033449_back_pain_inversion_therapy.html
Further Information (links and books)
Your Plan for Natural Scoliosis Prevention and Treatment: Health In Your Hands (Second Edition) by Kevin Lau; Yoga and Scoliosis: A Journey to Health and Healing by Marcia Monroe, Loren Martin Fishman and B.K.S. Iyengar
Natural Alternatives to Antibiotics by John McKenna
by Bernie S Siegel
The Healing Power of Nature Foods: 50 Revitalizing Superfoods & Lifestyle Choices To Promote Vibrant Health by Susan Smith Jones
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
Colloidal Silver: The Natural Antibiotic Alternative by Zane Baranowski
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
1,000 Indian Recipes (1,000 Recipes) by Neelam Batra;
Food–Your Miracle Medicine by Jean Carper
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
Judith Hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.