Skin Cancer – Melanoma
A rare and serious form of cancer, melanoma begins in the skin and can spread to other organs in the body. In most cases, melanomas have an irregular shape and more than one colour; they may also be larger than normal moles and can be itchy or even bleed. Melanomas can appear anywhere on the body, but most often the back, legs, arms and face are affected.
Though melanoma is relatively rare, it is, however, becoming more common. Melanoma is one of the most common cancers in people aged 15-34 and is also responsible for most skin cancer deaths.
If you have had melanoma in the past, there is a chance it may return and the risk is increased if your previous cancer was widespread and severe.
If your health practitioner believes there is a significant risk of your melanoma returning, you will probably need regular check-ups to monitor your health. The condition is not always preventable, but you can reduce your chances of developing the condition by avoiding overexposure to UV light.
Be sure to protect yourself from sun damage by using sunscreen and wearing appropriate clothing in the sun. You should also avoid sunbeds and sunlamps and bear in mind that regularly checking your moles and freckles can help lead to an early diagnosis and increase your chances of successful treatment.
The first sign of melanoma skin cancer is a change in the shape, color, size, or feel of an existing mole. Melanoma may also appear as a new mole. Thinking of ‘ABCDE’ (see below) can help you remember what to look for:
- Asymmetry: The shape of one half does not match the other half.
- Border that is irregular: The edges are often ragged, notched, or blurred in outline, and he pigment may spread into the surrounding skin.
- Color that is uneven: Shades of black, brown, and tan may be present, as well as areas of white, gray, red, pink, or blue.
- Diameter: There is a change in size, usually an increase. Melanomas can be tiny, but most are larger than the size of a pea (larger than six millimeters or about 1/4 inch).
- Evolving: The mole has changed over the past few weeks or months.
A melanoma is a result of cells in the skin beginning to develop abnormally; although the cause of this is unknown it is thought an exposure of ultraviolet (UV) light from natural or artificial sources may be partially responsible.
On top of this, a number of factors can increase your chances of developing melanoma, such as having pale skin that burns easily, red or blonde hair, lots of freckles or moles, or a family member who has had the condition.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here
Again, avoiding the sun or wearing appropriate clothing whilst exposed to the sun’s harmful rays is the first thing you should do, as well as visiting your local health practitioner for tailored advice.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com/Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
- Try an Enerhealth Botanicals cleanse. Click here to discover more
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitioner here.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Water www.drinkrealwater.com/
Curcumin – A plant pigment that gives turmeric its bright yellow shade, curcumin has been praised for its healing qualities for centuries in Asia. Laboratory tests have shown the ingredient to be able to induce self-destruction of melanoma skin cancer cells, and it can also act as a potent antioxidant and may prevent nitrosamine formation and inhibit aflatoxin production – two processes associated with an increased cancer risk.
Carotenoids – Eat a diet rich in foods that deliver carotenoids; you can find the ingredient in red, orange and green vegetables and it can significantly increase sunburn protection. Try fruits and vegetables such as carrots, cantaloupe, sweet potato, tomatoes, kale, spinach and collard greens as a diet rich in carotenoids may help protect the skin against harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
Avoid Too Much Protein – Scottish doctor John Beard discovered the body’s primary defence against proliferating cancer cells is pancreatin – a mix of enzymes which also aid in the digestion of proteins. Diets rich in protein force pancreatic enzymes to focus on the digestion of protein rather than on the eradication of cancer. While a certain amount of protein is necessary for the proper functioning of the body, excessive amounts should be avoided to reduce your skin cancer risk.
Cut Down on Alcohol – Frequent intake of alcohol has been linked with an increased risk of several types of cancer, including melanoma. It’s believed that as alcohol is converted into acetaldehyde in the body — a chemical that also causes hangovers — and that this chemical induces DNA damage which can lead to skin cancer. The higher and the more frequent the intake of alcohol, the higher the risk of cancer, but be aware that it’s believed even small amounts of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer
Enjoy Raspberries – Ellagic acid has shown to be useful in the battle against skin cancer. According to research, ellagic acid is capable of clearing carcinogenic substances by activating detoxifying enzymes in the liver. Ellagic acid, found in raspberries, has also been shown to boost the immune system, to induce normal self-destruction of cancerous cells, and destroy skin cancer causing free radicals.
Reduce Intake of Fat – A high dietary intake of animal fat has been associated with an increased risk of cancer. One particular compound that seems to play a major role in this context is arachidonic acid, found in fatty red meats, egg yolks and organ meats. This omega-6 fatty acid has been shown to enhance cancer growth and to facilitate its spread within the body
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Research suggests that a sufficient, long-term intake of vitamin C and vitamin E can reduce the sunburn reaction to UVB irradiation, thereby contributing to a lowered risk of skin cancer.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here kevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitionerhere.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here (link) or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
As always the fastest most effective way to receive tailored advice to your own situation, you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Ayurvedic practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
There are hundreds of herbs used in Ayuervedic medicine that have the potential to heal cancer. They are strongly purifying, and detoxifying. Visit a licensed practitioner who can discuss several examples of strongly reducing, anti-carcinogenic herbs, which include red clover, burdock root, dandelion root, guggul, turmeric and chaparral. There are many herbs used to reduce tumor growth, alleviate pain, nausea, stress and anxiety and other symptoms of discomfort. Herbs can be taken internally or applied over the tumour as a paste. Some herbs are anti-oxidants such as amla berry or are detoxifying such as triphala.
Chyavanprash made from Indian gooseberry (amla) and 44 rejuvenating herbs can be taken for convalescence and tissue healing.
For pain and swelling, boswellia serrata, triphala guggul ashwagandha, and punarnava have been proven to be beneficial.
Cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa) has been shown to actually reduce cancerous cellular growth, while Triphala is recommended and used more than any other Ayurvedic herbal formulation because of its strong anti-carcinogenic properties and ability to significantly reduce tumours without causing any toxic side effects.
- The svedana (Ayurvedic steam bath) detoxifies and cleanses, while the body is gently steamed with a variety of purifying Ayurvedic herbs. The theory behind hyperthermia (heat therapy) is that raising the temperature of the body increases circulation and also increases the supply of oxygen to the cancer site. Cancer cells do not thrive in the presence of oxygen. Tumours and cells located near the surface of the body are more vulnerable to heat treatments than those protected deep inside. In the Ayurvedic steam sauna the head is always kept cool which makes it easier and more pleasant to endure prolonged high temperatures. In addition there are localized steam treatments available. Hyperthermia has produced excellent results in cancer therapy.
Abhyanga Oil Massage:
- Daily self-abhyanga is the most important act of self–love because it rebuilds ojas (stability) in the mind.
Research suggests that sesame oil may have potential as a cancer fighter, particularly anti-skin cancer, but also other cancers as it penetrates the body through the skin during an Ayurvedic massage and possesses antioxidant qualities which help fight free radicals. Free radicals are the products of oxidative reactions in the body that promote cancer development. The abhyanga self-massage also stimulates lymph drainage and detoxification through the body’s largest organ of elimination – the skin.
Mental and Emotional Purification:
- Healing begins with quieting the mind. Meditation, pranayama (yogic breathing), visualization, yoga asanas, periods of silence, walks in nature can all help to free up blocked mental energy and promote healing.
Meditation is the king of all sattvic practices. By finding the inner silence the individual dives deep into the well of pure consciousness, unlimited potential; unlocking the body’s self- healing power.
- Shirodhara: the pouring of warm sesame oil over the forehead will deeply relax and rejuvenate the mind and resolve deep-seated tension and traumas.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
To receive bespoke advice based upon your own situation you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Consult a licensed practitioner who may discuss or recommend the following:
- Herbs for Depressing Cancer Cells – Tulipa edulis (Shan Ci Gu). The active ingredient in T. edulis (Shan Ci Gu) is colchicine.
- Herbs with Anti-cancer Properties – The herbs in this group include herbs for cleansing the body of Heat toxins such as odlenlandia (Bai Hua She She Cao), lobelia (Ban Zhi Lian), and rhizoma paridis (Qi Ye Yi Zhi Hua).
- Herbs for eliminating Blood Stasis such as rhubarb (Da Huang), notoginseng root (Tian Qi), bugleweed (Ze Lan), and pycnostelma (Xu Chang Qing).
- Herbs for Immunity: Immune system enhancing herbs include astragalus (Huang Qi), ligustrum seed (Nu Zhen Zi), cordyceps sinensis (Dong Chong Xia Cao), gynostemma pentapphyllum (Jiao Gu Lan), polyporus (Zhu Ling), and reishi (Ling Zhi).
- Herbs for Preventing Alterations: Three herbal seeds have the function of preventing the alterations in breast cell genes that can lead to cancer: ligustrum seed (Nu Zhen Zi), cuscuta seed (Tu Si Zi), and lycii fruit (Gou Qi Zi).
Visit a licensed practitioner to discuss the following essential oils which have proven successful in treating skin cancer: Frankincense, Australian Sandalwood, Lavender, Clove, Sweet Orange, Geranium and Jojoba.
Use 4 drops of essential oil per 25ml of carrier oil.
To ensure positive results, always check that the essential oil is a 100% pure plant distillation and that it comes from a reputable source.
Owing to the principles behind homeopathy (link to full description of what it is) it is essential you see a licensed practitioner to receive your own personalised prescription. Find your closest Homeopath here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the signs and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat skin cancer but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned; several well-proved remedies are available for homeopathic treatment of skin cancer that can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor who may wish to discuss the following:
Graphites, Thuja, Nitric Acid, Lycopodium, Causticum, Carbo Animalis, Antim Crude, Calcaria Carb, Sulphur, Rhus Tox, Pulsatilla, Silicea, Carbo Veg, Lachesis, Merc Sol, Nux Vom, Belladonna among others.
Milk Thistle – When applied to the skin and used in combination with sunscreen, milk thistle has been known to help aid the prevention of skin cancer. Shown to produce antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immune-regulating effects, the herb appears to inhibit several tumor-promoters involved in skin cancer development.
Ginkgo – Gingko is an herb with antioxidant effects that can protect you from skin cancer, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center. It’s among several herbs that have been used in traditional medicine to protect the skin. Bilberry, ginger and hawthorn are antioxidant herbs that may produce similar protective effects regarding skin cancer.
Green Tea – In a 2005 study, green tea consumption was found to reduce ultra-violet-light-induced tumor incidence and tumor growth, while other research states that topically-applied green tea may also help protect the skin from DNA damage caused by UV rays.
According to this article exercise might protect against skin cancer, as discovered in a US study. Researchers found female mice exposed to a form of ultraviolet light took longer to develop skin tumours if they had access to a running wheel. The Rutgers University team found exercise appeared to speed up the rate at which cancer cells die.
However, experts warned the study, published in the journal Carcinogenesis, was not an excuse to go out in the sun unprotected, as aforementioned in this Find a Cure melanoma skin cancer document.
Yoga – The physical postures and breathing exercises comprising the practice of yoga have long been proven by scientific research to promote feelings of relaxation while simultaneously strengthening the body. Research conducted since the 1970s has shown that regular yoga practice not only relieves stress, and stressful emotions such as anxiety and depression, but also improves blood pressure rates and overall cardiovascular health. Yoga is also effective for reducing pain, improving gastrointestinal and respiratory function, and for improving cognitive function and enhancing sight and hearing.
Note: If you are just beginning to explore yoga, it is recommended that you initially do so under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor who can guide you to become aware of the subtleties involved in each yoga posture as well as the corresponding method of breathing.
Qigong – Is a wonderful form of exercise, breath work and meditation to relieve stress and tension in the body. See article section for more information about the art of qigong.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healingwww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation) www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/squeaky_clean.php
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigongwww.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFTwww.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stresswww.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workoutwww.naturalcures.com/Members/newsletters/pdfs/NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effectivewww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Natural remedy for moles www.homeveda.com/beauty-and-wellness/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-moles.html
Natural skin cancer cures www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob2fuMc9Hyk
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Complementary and alternative therapies in managing cancer:onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.3322/canjclin.49.6.362/full
Anti-cancer benefit of white tea extract: nccam.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/092110.htm
Eggplant/aubergine cures skin cancer:www.naturalnews.com/027506_eggplant_skin_cancer.html
Many sunscreens increase risk of skin cancer:www.naturalnews.com/032996_sunscreen_cancer_risk.html
Ginger effective against cancer: www.digitaljournal.com/pr/819219
Herbs to stop skin cancer www.livestrong.com/article/129635-herbs-stop-skin-cancer/
Three herbs for skin cancer altmedicine.about.com/od/cance1/a/skin_cancer.htm
Omega 3 supplements beneficial for skin cancer www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=9593
Ellagic acid cancer treatment www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/EllagicAcid.html
Skin cancer diet for preventing melanoma www.healwithfood.org/skincancer/diet.php
Skin cancer fighting foods and nutrition tips www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/skin-cancer-fighting-foods/
Natural Cancer Cures[Kindle Edition] T of the Doctors’ Prescription for Healthy Livingwww.amazon.com/Natural-Cancer-Cures-ebook/dp/B005T12IDC/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364217031&sr=1-2&keywords=natural+cancer+cure
US study suggests exercise cuts skin cancer risk news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4764535.stm
Exercise linked to reduced skin cancer www.livescience.com/759-exercise-linked-reduced-skin-cancer-risk.html
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt email@example.com – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA firstname.lastname@example.org – meditation, stress
judith hoad email@example.com – herbalist.
Kath May firstname.lastname@example.org – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges email@example.com – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.