When the laboratory checks the semen under the microscope, sperm shape is analyzed to see whether they are normally-shaped or not – this is called their form or morphology.) Ideally, a good sperm should have a regular oval head, with a connecting mid-piece and a long straight tail. If too many sperms are abnormally shaped (round heads, pin heads, very large heads, double heads, absent tails) this may mean the sperm are abnormal and will not be able to fertilise the egg. Many labs use Kruger “strict ” criteria (developed in South Africa ) for judging sperm normality. Only sperm which are “perfect” are considered to be normal.
Many infertile men have sperm samples which have low sperm counts, with poor motility and many abnormally shaped sperms. This is called oligoasthenoteratozoopsermia.
Sometimes the cause of teratospermia is an underlying disease like Celiac disease. Metabolic and hormonal imbalances are also common culprits, as they can interfere with the process of sperm maturation, and may create abnormalities like unusually-large or small heads or malformed tails. Your licensed health practitioner may recommend some tests to learn more about the situation, in addition to reviewing the patient’s chart for any signs in his medical history that might provide clues. In other cases, it may be difficult to determine why the sperm are malformed.
Hormonal defects, testicular pathologies like trauma, infections or tumors, Varicocele and raised reactive oxygen species levels are the major factors affecting the sperm morphology. If the cause is known then treating the underlying condition helps.
Avoid fertility-negative foods and maintain a nutrient-dense diet to help in the production of healthy sperm, as well as to improve sperm morphology. Avoid foods which are high in artificial sugars, chemicals and additives and include in your diet plenty of green wholefoods, as well as fruits and quality protein.
Try foods like oysters, oily fish and muscles, which are high in protein, Zinc and fatty acids, which are all beneficial to sperm health in general. Also add greens like spinach, broccoli, asparagus and avocado to your diet.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef. www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?affld=104400 The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
If you’re suffering from teratospermia, you may find some relief with any of the following supplements:
- Vitamin C – This is a chain-breaking antioxidant, which protects sperm from free radicals and oxidative stress, as well as helps recycle vitamin E
- L-Carnitine – Amino Acid – Supports sperm metabolism and provides anti-oxidative activity. It’s also been shown to improve several sperm parameters, including sperm concentration, motility, and morphology.
- Vitamin A – A fat-soluble vitamin and antioxidant, vitamin A plays a key role in repairing damage caused by the environment and aging. It also prevents cellular damage due to oxidizing free radicals, and studies indicate it also supports sperm motility
- Zinc – Also an antioxidant, zinc is known to have a positive effect on sperm morphology, as well as sperm motility and testosterone metabolism.
- Selenium – Reducing oxidative damage from free radicals, selenium may improve sperm motility and concentration.
- Grapeseed extract – A plant substance that provides a concentrated source of oligomeric proanthocyanidins, grapeseed extract contains vital antioxidants which protect cells from free radical/oxidative damage.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details herekevintrudeaudailylifesessentials.com/
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
- Krill oil –
- Fish oil
- Cod liver oil
- Vegetarian –
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually dis-ease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
- Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
- . Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Herbs for Male Infertility – www.livestrong.com/article/145456-herbs-for-male-fertility/#ixzz2Dihq9i2a
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healingwww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/recommends/
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters/
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effectivewww.naturalcures.com
EFT for treating disease https://www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
judith hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.