Trigger finger usually affects your thumb, ring finger or little finger. More than one finger can be affected and the condition may develop on both hands. It is more common in the right hand, possibly because most people are right handed.
Symptoms of trigger finger can include:
- Pain at the base of the affected finger or thumb (or both) when you move the finger or thumb, and if you press on the area
- A nodule (a small growth or lump of tissue) at the base of the affected finger or thumb
- Stiffness or clicking when you move the affected finger or thumb, particularly first thing in the morning
If the condition gets worse, your finger may get stuck in a bent position and then suddenly pop straight. Eventually, it may not fully straighten.
Trigger Finger in Children:
In a very small number of children between the ages of 18 months and three years old, trigger finger can affect the thumb. The main symptom will be an inability to fully straighten the thumb.
Trigger finger occurs if there is a problem with the tendon or sheath, such as swelling, which means the tendon can no longer slide easily through the sheath. This makes it harder to bend the affected finger or thumb. If the tendon gets caught in the opening of the sheath, the finger can give a painful click, like a trigger being released, as it is straightened.
The cause of trigger finger is not known, but several things may increase the likelihood of it developing. For example, it is more common in:
- People who are over 40 years of age
- People with certain medical conditions
Conditions that can make trigger finger more likely include conditions that affect the hand, such as Dupuytren’s contracture, although this is rare. They may also include some long-term conditions, such as diabetes. Around 10% of people with diabetes develop trigger finger.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef.
www.grasslandbeef.com The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Certain supplements may be particularly helpful in treating the symptoms associated with soft tissue problems such as trigger finger. Dietary supplements that quell inflammation and reduce pain may be especially helpful in treating trigger finger. Dr. Sharol Tilgner, a naturopathic doctor and author of “Herbal Medicine From the Heart of the Earth,” reports that yarrow, willow, pulsatilla, passionflower and arnica possess both anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Some supplements used in treating trigger finger may require further study using contemporary scientific testing methods.
Arnica may be a helpful supplement for treating trigger finger-related symptoms. Arnica, whose flower heads are used in supplements, is a common treatment for musculoskeletal and soft tissue problems. Dr. William A. Mitchell Jr., a naturopathic physician and author of “Plant Medicine in Practice,” reports that arnica is a premier supplement for soft tissue injuries, including sprains and strains, and that it helps reduce swelling and speeds recovery. Arnica is a member of the sunflower family.
Trigger finger is a bothersome condition, though it is not usually serious. Most people with trigger finger can still perform their usual work and recreational activities without significant difficulty. However, this health problem should always be managed by a qualified health care professional. Avoid self-treating trigger finger using dietary supplements, as some supplements may cause undesired health effects if they are not used properly. Ask your doctor what supplements are best for you and your condition.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products –ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go towww.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healingwww.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/recommends/
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fightersnaturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Squeaky Clean (Colonic Irrigation)www.naturalcures.com/squeaky-clean
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stressNC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workoutNC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effectivewww.naturalcures.com
Ayurvedic treatment of trigger finger without surgery:kottathilayurveda.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/trigger-finger-recovery-without-surgery.html
Healing the body meditation www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFh-Km4AXeE&feature=related
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Further Information (links and books)
Trigger Finger Cure: A Comprehensive Guide and Toolkit for Trigger Finger, Locking Finger, Video Game Thumb Pain… by Joshua L Sho
Supplements for trigger finger www.livestrong.com/article/427380-trigger-finger-supplements
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Whole food supplement, Pure Synergy
www.thesynergycompany.com (800) 723-0277
E3 Live, Green Superfoods
Omega-3s, Cod Liver oil
www.drrons.com (877) 472-8701
St. John’s Wort
Sunlight Therapy, Solar Healing
EMF Chaos Elimination, Q-Link
www.toolsforwellness.com (800) 456-9887
Living Freedom, Emotional Release Work
www.totalintegrationinstitute.com (520) 615-9811
Callahan Technique, Thought Field Therapy
www.tftrx.com (760) 564-1008
Dianetics, Dianetics Technology
www.dianetics.com (800) 367-8788
Neuro Emotional Technique
www.netmindbody.com (800) 888-4638
Bowen, Find Practitioner
Rebounder, Evolution Health
www.evolutionhealth.com (888) 896-7790
Andrea Butje | Aromahead [email protected] – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt [email protected] – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA [email protected] – meditation, stress
judith hoad [email protected] – herbalist.
Kath May [email protected] – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges [email protected] – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika [email protected] – aromatherapy.
Rakesh [email protected] – Ayurvedic Practitioner.