Vaginal Infections (Vaginitis)
Vaginal infections, or vaginitis, refers to any condition in which the vaginal tissue becomes infected by harmful microorganisms or other irritants.
There are various types of vaginal infections, all of which can safely and effectively be treated using the natural cures outlined below. Types of vaginal infections include: Bacterial Vaginosis, which, as the name suggests, is caused by bacterial infections, Candidal Vaginitis, which is caused a type of candidiasis localized in the vaginal region, and Hormonal Vaginitis, which primarily occurs in women who are past menopause, and is characterized by thinning vaginal tissue that is more susceptible to infection and irritation.
The two primary symptoms of all types of vaginal infections are pain and/or itching in the vaginal area that can often be severe, and vaginal discharge that is usually thick and resembles curds.
The most common causes of vaginal infections are overuse of antibiotics, bacterial infections, candidiasis (yeast overgrowth), parasitic microbes such as Trichomonas vaginalis, hormonal imbalances, such as those that can occur during and after menopause, and unsafe sex.
Other causes include poor sanitary habits, local irritants, such as chemical or perfumed vaginal products, and wearing undergarments that are too tight or contain synthetic irritants, such as pantyhose.
As with all diseases this did not happen overnight. The very first thing you must do is see a licensed health professional. Find a list of practitioners in your local area here
- Avoid all sugars, refined flour products, and carbohydrates, milk and dairy products, processed foods that contain preservatives and artificial sweeteners, alcohol, hydrogenated and trans-fatty oils, as well as foods that are common allergens.
- Emphasize a diet of fresh organic foods and drink plenty of pure, filtered water throughout the day.
- To boost your body’s resistance to vaginal infections, supplement with vitamin A, beta carotene, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc, as well as acidophilus and the amino acid lysine.
- Useful homeopathic remedies for vaginal infections include Belladonna, Cactus, and Sepia.
- Combine two parts Echinacea and goldenseal and one part phytolacca as a tincture. Take 20 to 60 drops directly into your mouth every two to four hours.
- Herbal douches and suppositories are highly recommended. Herbs for this purpose include calendula, comfrey leaf, Echinacea, garlic, goldenseal, plantain, and St. John’s wort. You can also add two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to one quart of pure, filtered water.
- Also effective is a suppository consisting of powdered boric acid mixed with berberis, calendula, and goldenseal, inserted into the vagina.
To prevent vaginal infections, and to aid in their elimination, women should take the following precautions:
- Shower or bathe at least once a day to keep the vaginal area clean.
- After showering or bathing, keep the vaginal area dry throughout the day.
- Avoid wearing pantyhose, especially nylons brands; wear white, undyed cotton underwear instead.
- Avoid the use of perfumed douches or douches that contain chemical irritants, as well as all other perfumed or chemical products in and around the vaginal area.
- Have your sex partner use condoms to reduce the risk of bacterial infection.
- Wipe away from the vagina (front to back) after each bowel movement.
Here are some things you can discuss with your practitioner:
- Eliminate Candida: Click here to find out how
- Do the Hydrogen Peroxide Protocol to strengthen the immune system:
- Drink 3oz of Colloidal Silver, three or four times a day for 60 days www.colloidsforlife.com Silver has long been recognised as a powerful natural antibiotic. Colloidal silver is silver that has been removed electronically from its source and then suspended in water. It is used to treat a myriad of diseases.
- Go on a fast to clear your system of toxic waste www.wecarespa.com
Hydrotherapy is the application of water, ice, steam and hot and cold temperatures to maintain and restore health. Treatments include full body immersion, steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, colonic irrigation and the application of hot and/or cold compresses. Hydrotherapy is effective for treating a wide range of conditions and can easily be used in the home as part of a self-care program. Many Naturopathic Physicians, Physical Therapists and Day Spas use Hydrotherapy as part of treatment.
There are several at-home hydrotherapy treatments. For treating rheumatoid arthritis, we recommended constitutional hydrotherapy (apply two to five times weekly) or a heating compress (apply once daily to affected areas). Please seek the advice of your alternative health care practitioner before undergoing these procedures to make sure they are appropriate for you.
- We recommend regular colonics to remove toxicity from the body. Read more about colonics by clicking here. Find a practitioner here.
- Most of the water that we drink is very acidic and in order to heal our bodies need a more alkaline state. During the programme drink alkalised water, which you can buy from Real Water.
It is important to not add further toxicity to your system so try to adhere to the following:
- Do not consume any artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, NutraSweet or Aspartame
- Do not consume high fructose corn syrup or mono-sodium glutamate.
- Do not drink any carbonated beverages.
- Avoid all fast food restaurants.
- Avoid all canned food.
- Eliminate conventional dairy products. The best dairy products are raw, unpasteurised and homogenised dairy from grass fed cows. If this is unavailable, then buy organic dairy.
- Avoid conventional beef. The best beef is organic grass fed beef.
www.grasslandbeef.com The second best is organic meat; this includes beef, veal, lamb, chicken and turkey.
Helpful nutrients include vitamin A, beta carotene, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc, as well as acidophilus (which can be taken orally and also used in a douche) and the amino acid lysine.
- Take Vitamin D3 50,000-100,000 International Units a day for periods of 4 weeks at a time.
- Wholefood supplements are the best way of ensuring your nutritional needs are met. The best we know on the market is Kevin Trudeau’s “KT Daily” product. You can find more details here.
- Take an Omega 3 supplement:
Prescription and non-prescription medication:
What non-prescription and prescription drugs are you taking? Your non-prescription and prescription are partially the reason that you have this illness or disease – you need to get off these medications but do so only under the guidance of a licensed health care practitioner.
We know that when the body is out of balance, energy doesn’t flow, leading blockages and eventually disease. Here are some things you can do to combat stress and restore balance:
- Go to a Dr Morter BEST (Bio-Energetic Synchronisation Technique) Practitioner.
- Sign up for Energetic Re-Balancing: 2 practitioners to consider are:
Stephen Lewis, founder of the Aim Program. Find out more by clicking here.
. Find out more by clicking here.
- Consider using Mary Millers Iching System Products – ichingsystemsinstruments.com
- Reiki healing is very powerful in releasing stress and emotional baggage. Find a practitioner here.
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has had remarkable results in dissolving stress. Find a local practitioner here or go to www.thetappingsolution.com or www.tftrx.com
- Try Hypnotherapy to relax the mind. Find a practitioner here.
As always the fastest most effective way to receive tailored advice to your own situation, you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Ayurvedic practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Bhastrika, Anulom-vilom Pranayaam and Tracheal. The herb blend Triphala is mild, safe and widely available at health food stores. Soak a cotton cloth in a mixture of Triphala powder and water and apply it to the affected area as a soothing cold compress, or use it as a rinse.
Add 3g of Pushyamuga Churna to milk. This, taken with 20ml of Ashokaarishta twice a day gives good rsults.
Make a douche concoction by boiling a tablespoon each of banyan bark and fig bark in one litre of water. Reduce to half and cool before filling a douche bag. Try and keep the liquid in the vagina for 10 to 15 minutes.
Traditional Chinese Medicine
To receive bespoke advice based upon your own situation you should visit a local licensed practitioner. Find your closest Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Acupuncture – this has proved successful in helping vaginal infections
Commonly used Chinese herbs such as: long dan cao (gentiana), chuan lian zi (melia), huo xiang (agastachis), bai dou kou (cardamom), mu xiang (saussurea), huang qin (skullcap), huang lian (coptis), and huang bai (phellodendra.)
The following blend can be taken orally or used internally:
2 drops tea tree oil
2 drops spike lavender oil
2 drops bois de rose oil or myrrh oil
2 drops tea tree oil
2 drops oregano oil
To ensure positive results, always check that the essential oil is a 100% pure plant distillation and that it comes from a reputable source.
Owing to the principles behind homeopathy it is essential you see a licensed practitioner to receive your own personalised prescription. Find your closest Homeopath here
Here are some remedies that your practitioner may suggest:
Useful homeopathic remedies for vaginal infections in general include Belladonna, Cactus, and Sepia.
For vaginal infections associated with candidiasis, the following remedies can help: Aconite, Arsenicum, Berberis, Caladium, Calcarea phosphorica, Cantharis, Chamomilla, Chelidonium, Graphites, Kali bichrom, Kreosotum, Lilium, Lycopodium, Mercurius, Natrum muriaticum, Natrum phosphoricum, Nitricu, acidum, Petroleum, Pulsatilla, Sulphur, and Thuja.
Useful herbs for treating and preventing vaginal infections include the following tincture combination: two parts Echinacea and goldenseal combined with one part phytolacca. Take 20 to 60 drops directly into your mouth every two to four hours.
Herbs can also be used in a douche to cleanse the vaginal area and destroy harmful microbes. Herbs for this purpose include calendula, comfrey leaf, Echinacea, garlic, goldenseal, plantain, and St. John’s wort.
For candidal vaginitis, swab the vagina with an extract of gentian violet. For general vaginal infections, black walnut or pau d’arco can be applied topically.
Yoga – The physical postures and breathing exercises comprising the practice of yoga have long been proven by scientific research to promote feelings of relaxation while simultaneously strengthening the body. Research conducted since the 1970s has shown that regular yoga practice not only relieves stress, and stressful emotions such as anxiety and depression, but also improves blood pressure rates and overall cardiovascular health. Yoga is also effective for reducing pain, improving gastrointestinal and respiratory function, and for improving cognitive function and enhancing sight and hearing.
Note: If you are just beginning to explore yoga, it is recommended that you initially do so under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor who can guide you to become aware of the subtleties involved in each yoga posture as well as the corresponding method of breathing.
Qigong –Is a wonderful form of exercise, breath work and meditation to relieve stress and tension in the body. See article section for more information about the art of qigong.
Other Treatments: Both douches and suppositories can be effective ways of treating vaginal infections. In addition to the herbal douches mentioned above, you can also add two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to one quart of pure, filtered water.
Tori Hudson, ND, reports that a suppository consisting of powdered boric acid mixed with berberis, calendula, and goldenseal, inserted into the vagina, is highly effective for eliminating vaginal infections.
TopicalSolutions: Vitamin E cream and diluted tea tree oil. The following can be applied to the affected area:
Aloe Vera Gel
Coconut and Lavender Suppository:
Make you own cure with our recipe: www.naturalcures.com/recent-articles/140-recent-articles/1426-healing-the-itch
Olive Leaf is a strong anti-fungal and anti-parasitic that has anti-viral and antibiotic properties as well. It has 400% more antioxidants than Vitamin C and twice the antioxidants of green tea with similar effects to the antioxidants in garlic and onions. Olive Leaf also stimulates your immune system and helps stabilize blood sugar levels (elevated blood sugar levels feed candida). If that isn’t enough, it also gives the body a natural energy boost which is helpful when candida drains us and makes us fatigued.
Alternative Professional Care
The following professional care therapies are also effective for treating vaginal infections: Acupuncture, Detoxification Therapy, Energy Medicine, Environmental Medicine, Magnet Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Oxygen Therapy, and Traditional Chinese Medicine. (See Glossary for descriptions of these Alternative Therapies.)
Traditional Chinese Medicine – Ancient Healing www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/traditional_chinese_ancient_healing.php
The best way to cleansing and purification of the body www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/54_the_best_way_to_cleansing_and_purification_of_the_body_110512.php
Natural remedies for vaginal infections: www.naturalnews.com/024209_infections_infection_natural.html
Mother Nature’s Natural Germ Fighters naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/03/mother-natures-natural-germ-fighters
Immune health NC_Newsletter_07-11.pdf
Heal Your Body and Raise Your Consciousness – Qigong NC_Newsletter_12-08.pdf
Health Care that Won’t Cost You a Single Penny – EFT NC_Newsletter_12-06.pdf
Become Master of Your Mind – taking charge of your reaction to stress NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Jump for Joy – Rebounding is a great stress busting workout NC_Newsletter_12-10.pdf
Hypnotherapy for stress management – why it is so effective www.naturalcures.com/healthblog/hypnotherapy_for_stress.php
Ayurvedia home remedy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEQarpgWtY4
EFT for treating disease www.garythink.com/eft/physicial.html
Low Vitamin D linked to vaginal infections: www.naturalnews.com/026353_Vitamin_D_women_infection.html
Candida can cause vaginal infections: www.naturalnews.com/031640_candida_intestines.html
Using probiotics to eliminate candida: www.naturalnews.com/027341_probiotic_candida_probiotics.html
Further Information (links and books)
Permanently Beat Bacterial Vaginosis: Proven 3 Day Cure for Bacterial Vaginosis Freedom, Natural Treatment That Will Prevent Recurring Infection and Vaginal Odor (Women’s Health Expert Series) by Caroline D. Greene and Bacterial Vaginosis Support Group; How to Get Rid of Vaginal Yeast Infection through Natural Remedies within a Few Days by Vida C. Marcele; The Coconut Oil Miracle (Previously published as The Healing Miracle of Coconut Oil) by Bruce Fife and Jon J. Kabara.
Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food … A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) by Phyllis Balch
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art by Kathi Keville and Mindi Green
Detox and revitalize by Susana L. Belen
The Secret Language of Your Body by Inna Segal
The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature’s Medicines by Michael Castleman and Prevention Magazine
Andrea Butje | Aromahead firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy
Carrie Vitt email@example.com – organic food recipes.
David Spector-NSR/USA firstname.lastname@example.org – meditation, stress
judith hoad email@example.com – herbalist.
Kath May firstname.lastname@example.org – reiki, tai chi.
Lillian Bridges email@example.com – Chinese medicine, living naturally.
Monika firstname.lastname@example.org – aromatherapy.
Rakesh GAC@AyurvedicLifeStyles.com – Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Essential Oils www.amoils.com