A healthy version of a favorite classic!
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 spelt or Ezekiel 4.9 English muffins, halved
- 4 slices organic smoked turkey, broiled
- 2 T parsley, shopped
- 2 T raw butter, coconut oil or ghee
- 2 T spelt flour
- 1 C organic milk, choose from cow, goat, almond, rice or soy
- 2 T Gruyere or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp coconut oil per muffin half
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat then add the flour, stirring until it browns. Slowly stir in the milk and simmer until thickened. Add the cheese and stir until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, to poach the eggs, bring 1-½ inches of water to boil in a skillet. Reduce the heat and one at a time, break an egg into a saucer and gently slide it into the water. Let the eggs simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until done. The whites should be firm. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain.
Toast the muffin halves. Spread 1 tsp. of coconut oil on each half. Lay a slice of turkey on top, gently place poached egg on turkey, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and cover with sauce. Garnish with parsley.
To balance the density of the egg, turkey and muffin in this rich and delicious dish, it is best enjoyed with a large tossed green salad.