Handy “Eat-to-Beat-Stress” Hints
Ice cream seems like a quick fix, but you’re better off making some wise stress-busting diet choices such as:
- Eating oatmeal, which provides more of all the B-Vitamins (except for pantothenic acid), than black beans, brown rice, or whole grain bread.
- Trying dried apricots to help keep blood sugar levels even. Stress causes the body to release hormones that cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate, triggering cravings and anxiety.
- Anxiety is associated with deficiency in the mineral selenium; one T chopped Brazil nuts, or 3 nuts, will provide you with your entire 200 mcg. daily requirement; almonds, pecans and walnuts contain 6, 6, & 21 respectively.
- Culinary herbs like basil, ginger and thyme contain mild sedative compounds, but according to experts, cooking them destroys those calming compounds; so, try eating raw in a salad.
- Stress suppresses the immune system; boost immunity by getting at least 200 mg. of Vitamin C daily: 1 C halved strawberries = 86 mg., 1 kiwi = 74 mg., and 1 C of pineapple chunks = 24 mg.
- To end your day, brew a cup of chamomile, lemon balm or valerian tea, which all contain anti-anxiety compounds. Steep the herb (1 tea bag, 3 T fresh or 1-2 tsp. dried) in covered cup of water; strain after 5 min., drink and enjoy (or, drink 1-3 cups throughout your day).