Timeframe: 1 to 4 weeks
Ingredients (for ½ gallon):
Use organic ingredients please
- 5 lbs beets
- 3 T sea salt
- 1 T caraway seeds
- Grate beets coarsely or finely, as you prefer.
- Sprinkle grated beets with sea salt as you go. Salt to taste.
- Add other vegetables, herbs or spices if you like.
- Cover and weight the grated beets with a plate.
- Check after a few days. Wipe away any surface mold, rinse the cover and weight. Taste. As time passes, the flavor will get stronger. Evaporation may cause the brine to reduce. Be sure to keep the brine level above the plate. If necessary, add some brine, salted with about 1T salt per C of water.
Enjoy raw or in borscht.