Deluxe Veggie Burgers
Here is an alternative to those frozen saucers you buy in a box. This recipe provides plenty of protein in addition to great taste. Use organic ingredients, as always.
- 1 C cooked, short-grain brown rice
- ½ C grated carrots
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 C cooked chick peas or other beans such as white or adzuki beans
- 1 C ground, raw nuts or sunflower seeds, preferably soaked
- 1 T onion, minced
- 2 T raw sesame tahini
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T nutritional yeast (aka brewers yeast, available at natural food stores)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp each thyme and oregano, fresh if possible, dried if not
- 2 T fresh chopped parsley
- ½ C spelt bread crumbs
- black pepper, to taste
- wheat-free tamari or soy sauce, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
Combine rice, beans, nuts, onion, tahini, oil, herbs and spices in a food processor until smooth. Add to prepared veggies and bread crumbs. Correct seasoning. The egg may be added at this point. If the mixture is dry, it may be moistened with vegetable stock or water until it will hold together.
Refrigerate for one hour. With wet hands, shape into burgers. Cook 3 minutes on each side on grill lightly brushed with oil, or wrap individual burgers and freeze for future use.