Rollups travel well as part of a bag lunch. This recipe is a lighter, healthier, vegetarian version of the traditional sandwich.
- 2 C hummus or cooked lentils
- 2 C carrots, julienned
- 1 C red onion, cut into half moons
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 C red pepper, de-stemmed, de-seeded, and julienned
- 2 C zucchini, julienned
- ¼ C fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ C fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 8-inch tortillas, sprouted whole-grain
- 1 C red lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- sprouts, your choice
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Your favorite salad dressing
Avocado, Tahini or Nut butter, in lieu of hummus or lentils
Sauté the carrots and onion in oil for 2 minutes to soften. Add the peppers and zucchini and cook an additional 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp tender. Add the cilantro and parsley, season to taste, stir well to combine, and set aside to cool.
To assemble the rollups: place approximately 1/3 cup of the hummus or lentils down the center of a tortilla, top with about a cup of the sautéed vegetable mixture, then lettuce and tomato. You may sprinkle a little salad dressing on if you want, then roll up the tortilla to enclose the filling, leaving the ends open. Serves 6.